Difference between a Bonnethead and HammerHead?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Difference between a Bonnethead and HammerHead?

Is there a difference between the two? Isn't the technical name for hammerhead, bonnethead?

Banned
    :facepalm

AKA Jiggin Junkie

II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

bonnethead grows to about 4ft head is also smaller then a hammerheads and hammerheads grows 12ft plus

The bonnethead is a small species of hammerhead; the hammerheads all belong to the same genus (Sphyrna), but there are several distinct species. Bonnetheads differ from their larger breathern in part by their feeding habits; they feed mostly on crustaceans (shrimps, crabs, and the like).

Canaveral Bight Bonnethead.

copoutfishing.com

Hammer Heads are very illegal to harvest and take a long while to get sexually mature and reproduce. From what I've been told, Hammers don't taste good as table fare. There is no reason to ever kill or harvest a Hammer Head. Bonnet Heads are very different (smaller), plentiful, non-pressured species, legal to harvest, some anglers will OCCASIONALLY harvest one for the table.

one has a bonnett and the other has a claw

Bonnets have a round head, Hammers are square.
    Look at a soup spoon then a sledge hammer thats what they look like.
    I have to admit I am a FISHAHOLIC.
    viet vet usaf 72-75

When we were kids(13-16)we would anchor up in one of the cuts of Islandia (those northern most Fl.Keys not conected by bridge) and fish a night. After a while the bonnet heads would come through and yank all our lines out or pop them. We would often have one rod rigged up just for them. They would put up more of a fight than anything else out there we were catching, and YES we would eat one or two off them. First light of dawn we would beach up one off the vacant islands and start a fire. Shark steaks with butter and Lawry's seasoning salt and Top Ramen nodles. After a night of fishing and excessively drinking and using night fishing 'enhancers' anything will taste good ,but it may have been that they actually were good table fare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast