Gulf Lobs n' Hogs

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gulf Lobs n' Hogs

Went out on 12/4. Weather forecast was not spectacular....weather gods have not been kind to us lately, but we were itching to get out. Forecast called for 3-5, but was a much more manageble 3'. The initial plan was to target the red grouper and snapper, maybe get tight on an AJ. We brought along the tanks just in case....

Well after our first spot in 45' we caught and released some nice gags...not a legal red Grouper in sight. We decided to push further out since we kinda figured the reds would be deeper. On our next spot in 85' we again get slammed by nice Gags! ohhh those endangered gag grouper...we had such a blast catching them though. Ended up catching about a dozen gags ranging from 23"-32"...still, not a legal red Grouper in sight!

The seas calmed down a little bit and it was time to put on the tanks... first drop i stumble into a nice lobster surprise! Got two nice bugs, one was about 4lb's. Most of my lobster diving has been on the east coast, but this was my first bug on the west coast. Now the hogs decide to show up, i shoot a nice one and it leads me to an even nicer ledge loaded with fish!! Snapper, big gags, reds, you name it! Bottom time was running out, so i get one more hog and it was time to come back up. Went back down on a second dive in the same spot and we got a few more nice hogs and my buddy got a "two for one" on some nice mangos. Vis was not spectacular....10-15 maybe..., but ill take what i can get.

Wish i took more pics of the other hogs and snapper.

Another great day on the water. The lobster was swiftly served up with a hogfish stuffing! It doesnt get much better than that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Lobster 1.jpg  

nice... where did you go out of?

Senior Member Lobstercatcher229's Avatar
    nice report! glad u had some luck this time of year.

Banned
    Hogfish stuffing sounds great.... any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by gregb View Post
    nice... where did you go out of?
    St Pete. My buddy lives on a canal where he keeps the boat

Quote Originally Posted by Tripleclean View Post
    Hogfish stuffing sounds great.... any pics?
    Attachment 12122

Dinner time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lobster dinner.jpg  

You rock!

Wow , sounds like a great day out !!! Great lookin meal too !

Thats a great idea for lobster stuffing. Next time I get some bugs I'm gonna try that instead of crab in the stuffing. I have also used the lobster in a sharp smoked Mac n cheese with truffles. It's the best way I have eaten lobster so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mako7873 View Post
    Thats a great idea for lobster stuffing. Next time I get some bugs I'm gonna try that instead of crab in the stuffing. I have also used the lobster in a sharp smoked Mac n cheese with truffles. It's the best way I have eaten lobster so far.
    That sounds pretty awesome! Whats the recipe?
    Do i just add the sauteed lobster meat chunks to the mac n cheese after the MnC is all done? Is there a brandd of MnC you suggest? what about the truffles...never used them. When do i add them to the MnC?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast