1-28-2012 - Port Saint Lucie Offshore Fishing Report:

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1-28-2012 - Port Saint Lucie Offshore Fishing Report:

Taking some old friends out today that I haven't seen in awhile. Rick Konney and Emmerson Rene. We loaded up the ice an their gear and headed out to the NE spot to see if the hornbellies have left. Nope... Nothing but Hornbellies. As we were pulling away Vindawg pulled up so we gave him the heads up and he followed us south.

We loaded up on blue runners an bar jacks in short order...

Heres Vindawg & Reel nuts. How did you guys make out today?

Note to self, need to write down new setting to try on camera for early morning shots. Thanks from everyone who gave me tips last week, will try them next week if I can remember. Tough getting old.

There wasn't much of a sunrise this morning with the overcast skys...

We stopped and picked up a couple of large runners for some AJ's later then headed out to the Hill. Lines in before 8:00am and FISHON by 8:15. Ricks line gets hit first.

Less than a minute later Emmersons line starts screaming

Rick gets his BFT to the boat

Emmerson loses his fish and assumes his position ... Funny story. When we were catching bait this morning, Vinny pulls up and says to Emmerson, aren't you the guy who catchs the AJ's then takes a nap

Ricks fish was caught on Billy Bones's Tackle ( www.billybones.cc ) Jayson Armans lure. Stop by an pick one up and try it on your Daisy Chain.

Emmerson had something big on but it came unglued. It was in the same area so I was hopeful it was a bigger BFT. He had on my new larger lure and chain. I made it using Bluewaters Bling lure.

The skies were overcast and I haven't had much luck on the Hill in those conditions but catching one already, I was hopeful the morning was going to be good. We got the chains back out and circled back through the same area and immediately had a double header but they both came unglued. After losing another double header we switched out the lures to my Pearl Duster lures and still nothing. Heres Vindawg trolling the Hill as well.

We headed towards the AJ spot in hopes of bending the heavy rod and stopped at some weeds and dumping in the liveys. Drifted these for awhile while Emmerson re-assumes the position ... All in good fun Emmerson.

We moved on to the AJ spot and dropped down one of the 12" runners before we got it to the bottom we were 50 yards off the spot. The current was ripping at 4+ knots. Rick reels up and we set-up 100 yards past the spot in hopes of getting it down before we got there. After the third drop we are there and Rick's rod gets hit but never came tight. Made one more attempt with nothing.

Opted to head in shallower to see if we can find those ellusive fins. Came across a nice temp change with some weeds on it in 110ft...

We slow trolled the runners for six miles northward with not one hit. Heard on the radio that some sailfish were being caught in 60ft. Headed in and slow trolled some liveys into the mix then shut down the motor to drift. Had three of these guys circling around us but never came close to the water.

Called it quits at 3pm and headed to the ramps.

Todays Tally:

1 out of 6 BFT

How did you all do today?

I had a great time today even those we did more fishing than catching. Will get them next weekend Emmerson. Rick, let me know if you want me to put you and your son on the trip list. It will be sometime in May or June.

Tip of the day

Automated radio check channel by Sea Tow. Tune to channel 27 on your VHF radio and do a radio check. It will copy and playback your radio check. This is a great way to hear how your mic is working as well as making sure your radio is working properly. I make it a habit to check the radio soon after I dump the boat in the water. I also check it again when we get way offshore.

VSC - Vessel Safety Check. Contact Gary Bowerman of the CGAUX for a free boat inspection (772-287-4621). I was greated by Gary at the boat ramp last year and he checked out my boat and I found that I was missing the Inland Distress flag. I highly recommend you get this done as it don't cost anything and you get a VSC sticker to affix to your windshield on your boat. When you see those FWC guys or the cops looking through there binoclars and they spot this sticker, they will most likely pass you up for another boat. You should get this done once a year just in case any laws change.

Here is a link to the United States Coast Guard Auxillary

http://www.cgaux.org/vsc/

While rigging up the daisy chains this morning I spotted this laying on the sand next to the ramps. Last weekend when we returned to the ramp I noticed someone had hit this Channel Marker that was right out front of the ramps. Not sure if someone hit it at night or what but I think if they had those reflective strips that they now have on most stop signs that it would make these things more visable at night. I mentioned that to the USCG but they said that tape costs $400 per roll and that they don't have the funding. I remember some people getting killed when hitting these poles down south last year...

A friend of mine (Cal Bledsoe) is walking in the "Walk to Cure Diabetes" for the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) which takes place on April 14th, 2012. If you would like to donate to this great cause, please click the link below. Thank You.

http://www2.jdrf.org/site/TR?px=1205...nal&fr_id=1656
    Last edited by Alwaysforward; 01-29-2012 at 06:19 AM.
    ALWAYSFORWARD, NEVER STRAIGHT...

Tough going on the BFT coming unglued. Better luck next rime. Thanks for sharing

Enjoyed the report and the tip should be something you do every year. As you said the laws change but notice is seldom given to the public. Every trip can't be a box full but every trip can be fun.

Jeff there is ALWAYS the next time for fish but you got out and had a good time that is what counts! Hope to get out soon but weather hot looking good.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FROM TEAM LET'S GO,
    BONES AND BOOMER. LET'S MAKE EVERY TRIP COUNT

L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"

At least you guy's made it out, turned out to be a nice day.

Good to see you out there from several hundred yards away. We quickly circled around after you got that first BFT in the box, but had no takers. Thanks for the report.

Looked like a nice day to be out on the water
    Hopefully we will see you out there next weekend

give that man a bean bag!

Thanks for the report Jeff. I stopped by to pick up some supplies at Billy Bone's yesterday and ended up talking with Jayson and another customer for a while on some lures and techniques I have yet to try. Jayson is always willing to share his local knowledge and help out where he can.

Hey Jeff,

EXCELLENT report as usual!

Too bad you couldn't put the boys on fish however Emmerson really looks comfortable.

I guess Pat is donating a bean bag to your cause.

Cheers buddy.

Eric
    PLANE FISH N

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast