Monic FST lines yea or nay?

Florida Sportsman

Monic FST lines yea or nay?

I tried the original Monic lines and hated them. I tried the Cortland clear lines and hated them too! Lately I have read some good reviews on the new Monic FST lines. I'm sure I'll still hate them because I cannot track the fly, it was a PITA to uncoil, too much memory. I hear the new line has no memory issues. Should I put my prejudice aside and give the new lines a try? I know it will be another learning curve but hey if I get more takes it is worth it to me to learn how to use them.

I agree with your statements on the Cortland and the old Monics. Although I think ODC has used the new version of the clear Cortland and could probably tell you if it's worth a try. I use the Airflo ridge lines and really like them, and they make a clear version in the trout weights if you are looking for a 6wt or smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    I think ODC has used the new version of the clear Cortland and could probably tell you if it's worth a try.
    I do. I have the PEII liquid on my 9wt. It's a dramatic improvement over the old crystal line, but lines are all subjective to individual taste. I do think it's worth a try, but I'm still waiting on my ridge clear tropical. As far as the tracking issue, I learned to keep my eye on the ball so to speak. As long as you keep your eyes fixed on where you want your fly to drop, that's typically where it's going to land. My biggest issue was keeping track of it while it was on the deck. You'll notice a stray loop hanging off the toerails with a tan/blue/yellow line, not so much with the liquid.

Clear floating lines

Quote Originally Posted by Ol'DirtyCaster View Post
    I do. I have the PEII liquid on my 9wt. It's a dramatic improvement over the old crystal line, but lines are all subjective to individual taste. I do think it's worth a try, but I'm still waiting on my ridge clear tropical. As far as the tracking issue, I learned to keep my eye on the ball so to speak. As long as you keep your eyes fixed on where you want your fly to drop, that's typically where it's going to land. My biggest issue was keeping track of it while it was on the deck. You'll notice a stray loop hanging off the toerails with a tan/blue/yellow line, not so much with the liquid.

Sir,

I love clear floating lines, I have used them all and also had a problem tracking my fly.

I now use the SA Tarpon line, I cut the last 10 feet off the SA line then join the last 10 feet of the monic line, I now have a full floating clear tip line, I can see the fly very easy, I can get away with a shorter leader, I can also cast this line over the backs of moving Tarpon without spoking them...my 2 cents.

Carl Blackledge

I have used the Monic FST lines for quite a while and LOVE it. I have made multiple presentations to fish that would have easily spooked with colored line. The shorter leader is nice and you go through less FC leader material. If tracking the line is an issue, try their Tropical Seemless Phantom Tip.

Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    2013 Ankona Native SUV 17

Shadowcast,
    Have they solved the memory issues? I just picked one up for a 12 wt but have not had a chance to try it yet. This weather is a real PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by mtd885 View Post
    Shadowcast,
    Have they solved the memory issues? I just picked one up for a 12 wt but have not had a chance to try it yet. This weather is a real PITA.
    Gonna be cold for a few days now too, but WHEN it heats up again, look out

Hey Jay!
    Shouldn't you be somewhere whispering?...LMAO

Hey Jay!
    Shouldn't you be somewhere whispering?...LMAO
    finishing up building a house and getting ready to move, so no, 6 weeks off to get it all done

Shadowcast,
    Once I stretch out my line, the memory is minimal. Before I load up in the skiff, I usually hook my fly to the car....and walk with the rod to stretch out the line and that usually cuts down the memory.

Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    2013 Ankona Native SUV 17