Had a Carppy Day

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Had a Carppy Day

Went to a pond by me with a dock ill sometimes fish from when I want to soak a baitfish while I do school crap. Had a brim out (couldnt get any shiners they had moved deep, my friend had caught six and he had been there for 3 hours) and started doing some school work. Someone I hadn't met yet came over and we started talking fishing. About fifteen minutes later my friend left and the guy started throwing out some stale bread he had, I think it was cuban bread. Well shortly after he says he thinks he sees some carp so I get up and sure enough theres a couple. I seem them probably every three times I go there but they always just cruise on by, I'll throw bread at them but hadn't ever seen them eat it. Well there was a good amount of bread already out there, alot of it floating far out, and they started eating it. So im like ill be damned i reel in my bluegill, huck it, and the guy gives me a piece of bread. It was from a loaf of very stale bread with a toasted outside, maybe it was puerto rican bread? (ive got some like it at wal mart before). Well I put it on my 4/0 shiner hook, wet it so i can cast decent, and cast it out and its actually floating!

About a minute later a carp inhales it, set the hook and got a couple fun runs before it started to tire a bit. I'm laughing my arse off, i couldn't believe i had actually caught one of these particular carp (i thought they didn't really eat the bread people throw out much, they're always cruising) and im starting to reel it to shore and notice another bigger carp is with it and staying real close to hit. I'm like damn i wonder.......i run to my car while the guy that was there is holding my rod and grab another rod outta it. Run back and throw another piece of bread on. This one didn't seem like it was gonna eat it, it seemed focused on the other carp, but about two minutes later it just explodes on it. The guy was saying "Man that looked like a shark hitting that" ive never seen a carp hit topwater, it was pretty exciting, anyway, set the hook and had a fun fight with it.

Well then long story short i jumped down from the dock, went on a sandbar next to it about 2" deep and started to land the smaller one. I got it almost beached and stupidly decided to grab the line to pull it in instead of using the road. Well it took off, went by the dock, and cut through my 20lb power pro like a knife. Oh well, at least it was the smaller one. Landed the other one though, was 14lb 2oz, beat my personal best by 1lb. I was expecting I wasnt gonna get anything today, unfortunately they weren't bass but was a pleasant surprise!

Pictures:

Last edited by RemoteRedsTrout; 01-22-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Oh and i kept it cooked m up on the grill. Filleted, used some old bay and secret seasonings, and threw on a cedar plank for about 15 minutes. Took off the grill, threw away the fish, and ate the cedar plank. From what ive heard carp tastes like crap! and really boney

lesson learned

you might wanna stick to the reds and trout lol !!

nice fish though.

Hahahahaha thanks man

Nice carp!

I've used a similar method to catch the grass carp (that size and bigger) in the canals down here in Miami/Broward. They'll eat bread for sure, but not at first, takes them a while to realize its food.

That is a awesome story and nice pics .

Thank you, I love when I hook into a fish and have other ones follow it to shore! Ive got some good bass by grabbing another rod and casting out when they are following the one i got a hook in

Anyone know of any other kinds of bread thatll float on a hook?

thats funny. up by me we saw some fish rolling in brackish water and couldn't figure out what they were, but we noticed they were eating acornes off an oak tree hanging over the water and when they fell off the tree they were rolling like a tarpon and eating them. so we drilled holes in acornes and put a circle hook through them and tossed them out under the oak tree and sure enough we hooked up and finally got it in and it was huge carp.i mean huge 30 -40-50 +++pound ones. we did it all day and caught tons of them. one of the wierdest things i did while fishing all these years, but it was fun.

Nice! There a pond behind my house with huge grass carp, easily 30 lbs. Fished for them with bread, dough, corn, algae, and tomatoes and only landed 1 in 4 years.
    Optimism is the greatest trait a fisherman can possess.

Dog food pellets have worked for me in the past

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast