Island Prep 2012 - Page 18

Florida Sportsman

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Arranging freezer for the trip over. Lifting a full freezer is an invite to injury so we pack it in a way that allows us to empty it, put it on the boat, plug back in, repack for ride over, unload it , put freeze on dock and reload for the duration of the trip... The 7.0 cu ft models are great for even packing. We alternate layers. Assorted big baits then a layer of 6 x 6 pack, then a layer of 4 x 12 pack, layer of small baits then repeat with the 6 and 12 packs til full. On the right side of the freezer over the compressor works we load our food stocks. I said in last post I will continue carrying a full six weeks worth just in case we return to original plan. If not needed I'm sure that between pat at Sea Crest and Cisco over at Big Game we can find a home for the leftovers.

Well I guess I'm going to pay for that little excercise ... Got carried away with all my freezers re arranging reloading moving around. Wrist to shoulder on right side sending signals that it will punish me for deciding to do that... Oh well...

A brighter day!!! Green light to go with what we had scheduled!!! So no more cuts and I still have a job...

Now i can get back to focusing on the tourney and slapping some fish to sleep... I'm glad I didn't downsize again. Fresh tag lines already made. Though we had fresh when this whole thing began time in the sun still says its half way through the run whether or not we are using or not... Same goes for my antichrist A/C pump... That gets the change tomorrow...

Everything is good!!! Glad to hear it all turned out well. Maybe I'll see you there

Another silver lining in this...
    Years ago I missed a tournament that I fish every other year. That day my wife got stung by a wasp and if I hadn't been there to rush her to the er we would have lost her.

Another year I missed another regular fishing trip and caught an electrical fire before it got out of hand.

Well playing with the freezers today i saw a little wet spot on the ground. Traced it to the source and it was my water heater here at the house ready to burst. If I hadn't been home it would have been a disaster! $500 I didn't want to spend is better than the thousands in potential damage that could have come from it...

So good things all around...

Fix that then the ac pump on the boat and then time to focus. Damn the torpedos, hoist the mizzen mast, hone the harpoons, port , starboard, full speed ahead, ramming speed, avast and arggggg! Almost time to take this show on the road!

Safe Travels s & Good Luck!

Read you posts religiously. Safe trip and knock them silly.

This water tank is becoming an all day thing... I don't like being on land this long... Looks like it will be a late night deal aboard the yacht getting that ac pump of death sorted out...

Those projects behind me... I will pay for the heavy work tomorrow i guess...

Got a PM asking about live bait at Bimini... Fair question deserving of a fair answer. I did answer him and will share here as well.

As for live bait at Bimini... Long story... I will not live bait at Chub I have made that pretty clear... I see no advantage to it with as many fish as are there. For the couple times I have tried again no advantage was gained. Further I truly believe it wrecks the trolling fishery near by... Much in the same way that chunking will shut down a trolling bite up north... That being said at Bimini, because it has been beat on hard through the years, I have in the past and do once in a while still use it.
    Scorched earth? Not quite but it is tougher than it used to be to get. In the channels of the south island there are a fair amount of pilchards. There and along the edges of the islands on the flats east of alice/ bailey town. On the better lit docks gogs can be caught on real small white jigs. Seacrest, slack starting to go out is best. Roaring in at big game.
    Now for the sneaky one... The flats are loaded with sand perch. I accidently discovered that they are really good live bait along with small yellowtails especially if i'm looking for bigger reef fish. The gogs over the years have been pretty much king and cuda chow and I think only one or two sails over all those years. The pilchards are good on tuna near sundown off the south island. Ceros and big tails love em on the reefs. The sand perch and small tails are hell on the big groupers, reef donkeys, big kings, sails, even jumbo dolphin gobble em up. Small ones are like crack to muttons, big mangroves, and small cubera.

I know my marina basin is pretty dirty but how is it that just three days ago I cleaned my strainers and already today the one for the ac was jammed full of what could best be called sludge?
    Oh well... Altered the room reservations to accomodate the owners needs... Moved inflatable next to bow for easy load. Took the outboard out of storage and found an issue... She leaked her oil out... Theres a sticker right on the motor that says this side up or oil will drain out... Guess I didn't see it before. Still dont get how it gets out though. Its a four stroke and i would think its a closed system? I guessed wrong...
    As predicted my arm is scereaming at me for all the twisting and lifting and moving... Pretty sure even the "Bahamian aspirins" won't help this year... Sucks getting older... motrin and large doses of B 6 seem to help but some days she just flares all by her self and I can't seem to nail down either what move sets it up or what move I make shuts it off as quickly as it starts. Pinched nerve I'm thinking...Guess I'll get it looked at after shark season up north which will commence the day after we get back.
    That sets up another project. I'll be hitting the ground running when we get back stateside to get up north for back to back mako tournies... So shark rigs that I twisted in off season and portable shark kit all have to be at the ready before I leave. Right down to different rounds for my hand gun. Jersey has a silly law thats big time against hollowpoint ammo which I'm normally loaded with. Ip there it has to be ball so I have the shark bag with magazines loaded with that. Gettin ready for mako gives me something to do over island side at night as well... They are temperature sensitive as can be so i need to track water movements and monitir where their forage species are being found. Where the two come together on the nearest structure is where I'll find my money winner hopefully...

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast