Do you bleed your fish?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Do you bleed your fish?

Bleed or no? and why?

Since I recently relocated back down here to Fla. I used to bleed my salmon and steelheads when I caught em. How about for saltwater fish? pros or cons about it?
    Thanks

I don't bleed mine unless I'm going to keep a shark, or a tuna. Tuna I will gut asap and pack in ice.

I'll bleed any fish I'm going to keep... if I remember to. I don't think there is a con to it besides you can't cull that way. I think what is true for salmon is true for any fish, or creature for that matter. I notice it makes the filets look much nicer/no blood in veins.

I bleed the bigger fish, dolphin, grouper, cobia, tuna, and gut them, the bottom fish, snappers I don't bleed unless it is a nice sized mutton.

We incidentally bled out a Wahoo last week and the consensus on the crew was that the meat was whiter and tasted better so yes… bleeding out fish is a good practice to get into. Now if I can only master avoiding a green Wahoo’s mouth as I try to bleed it out.

Yes, I bleed most fish I catch.

How do your bleed a Hoo?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln

I got in the habit of bleeding kingfish and cobia one season. About 3/4 of the way through the season I was convinced neither one tasted or looked any different then before I bled them so don't even bother now. Most everyone agrees to bleed tuna, but I think anything other than that is debateable although it certainly couldnt hurt. If for no other reason, removing the warm blood and guts allows the fish to cool on ice much quicker and therefore keeps it fresher.

Banned
    Yes, I bleed fish. Usally by cutting through gill plates straight down. I think it tastes better than non bled fish.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast