Stator failure? - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stator failure?

Wow, that is quite a story about the new pack. My guess would also be a connection problem, but perhaps the new pack may not be as sensitive to the stator voltage or the triggering voltage as the old pack. A lower stator output that was still in spec could keep one bank of the pack from firing. You would need a ‘scope to watch the voltage waveforms going into the pack. Can’t remember which side of your motor that the shift switch cuts out – they changed over the years – so unplug it and remove the ground terminal and see if spark returns. Any resistance through the shift switch could lower or bleed off the internal voltage for the one bank.

Can you fabricate a way to swap the 2 stator charge coil leads to see if one side follows with no-spark? Those will be the brown and/or brown-and-stripe wires from the stator. Bottom line, it's probably the stator - as you know, components can check good but not work correctly and the one charge coil is lower than the other.

If you pull the flywheel, I'll bet you will find a puddle of melted insulation under at least on charge coil. That means someone had wing nuts or loose battery connections that affected the regulator and that in turn overheated the stator to the point of melting plastic.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee

Quote Originally Posted by Billgran View Post

If you pull the flywheel, I'll bet you will find a puddle of melted insulation under at least one charge coil. That means someone had wing nuts or loose battery connections that affected the regulator and that in turn overheated the stator to the point of melting plastic.

And that's exactly what I found this morning when I installed the new stator. Imagine my surprise when I cranked the engine and had no fire out of the CDI power pack. Once again, I reinstalled the original power pack and the motor starts and runs flawlessly. The $250 question.... Is the CDI pack bad, or is there something else going on in my electrical system that is causing the CDI pack not to light off? Any suggestions on what to check?

P.S On the bright side, I have disassembled this thing so many times I can easily beat the flat rate R&R time.
    Last edited by loose_cannon; 02-11-2012 at 02:34 PM.
    Member #813

If you installed a CDI stator (yep, your old one looks like I suspected) and the new CDI pack does not work, it would be worth a phone call to them. Ask for Clark if you can. What is the output on the new stator compared to the original one?

--- Travis McGee

I haven't measured the output from the new stator, yet. That's a good idea. That way I have a baseline measurment for future reference should I (god forbid) have another problem.
    Member #813

Had a bad Stator on my 2010 E Tec last year, caught the motor on fire..... REAL fun when your a couple miles away from the ramp.

I've never seen a stator catch on fire, they consist of only a steel frame with copper wires with small plastic guides on an E-TEC.

Do you have any pictures, by chance?

Fire is no fun when you are out on the water, or anywhere for that matter.

--- Travis McGee

Sure do! These are the pics I took when I got to my techs shop and for insurance. The tech and insurance company ruled that the stator caused the fire. Complete loss, four E TURDS in six years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110707_114132.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	22369

Name:	IMG_20110707_114203.jpg 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	22370

Name:	IMG_20110707_114228.jpg 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	22371

The fire was nowhere near the stator. The stator is under the flywheel.

It looks like there was a fuel leak that got ignited around the stb. lower aft of the motor. The flames curled up and melted the plastic thermostat cover and 2 of the oil lines. My guess is something chafed or damaged the pressurized fuel hose in that area, an injector fitting leaked, or the fuel pump leaked and the spray was ignited by the ignition coils or wires.

Like I said before, you were very lucky, and a fire on the water can ruin your whole day.
    Last edited by Billgran; 02-27-2012 at 08:29 AM.

--- Travis McGee

The stator failed and created a electrical fire. Not a gas fire. My tech ripped that motor apart to find the stator had failed. The fuel lines and oil lines were melted. The fuel line was not burnt all the way through, close but not all the way. The point is these motors suck in every way possible!

Still doesn't sound quite right. With the stator mounted under the flywheel and no heat or flame damage showing through the flywheel vents, plus the stator wires come off the port side of the block and go directly to the EMM, none of those electrical items are anywhere near the pictured burned areas.

--- Travis McGee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast