NE Fishing Etiquette

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

NE Fishing Etiquette

I'll start this by saying I grew up down the coast a ways in Stuart and recently moved up this way. The inshore fishing environment is a lot different there than the Jax area. I'm used to wide open flats that go for miles. Up here, everywhere I've fished so far is narrower creeks that vary in length. I am just wondering what the etiquette is. Personally, I wouldn't dream of motoring past a boat that is anchored up or drifting and fishing in a creek that's 100' wide. But I found that in the span of an hour I had 4 other boats do just that. Is that not frowned on here? Not saying that people are more respectful down there as I've had people blast by at full throttle, I think everywhere has their rude people, but I was pretty surprised that in the span of an hour 4 boats would go by. I should also note, every boat had multiple rods and anglers it them.

Well now you know what to do with those 8oz egg sinkers you cant use anymore.......

Sounds like a bunch of A-holes....yes, courteous people will slow down in a creek that wide despite size of the vessel

Reminds me of a picture I once saw in the Keys. Two guys on the flats, one guy flyfishing off the front while the other guy takes aim on jet skiers with a shotgun.

As long as they did not run by on plane I would not have a problem with it.

Not to steal the thread but I was fishing the south jetty this weekend and had several boats run within 50 ft of me while I was anchored up close to the rockpile...people just don't realize that they put off more of a wake doing 8-10 knots than they do idling by...I understand it's the inlet, but if I'm running at the inlet I'm betweeen the bouys...if I'm lookin for a spot to anchor, I'll put out as little wake as possible.

Back to your question...if by "motoring" you mean running past you and not idling by, then that's just not very considerate...I always slow to an idle when passing someone in a creek.

Hopefully it boils down to education. I would hate to think that these people know its wrong and just do it anyway.I was taught at a young age to slow down to idle for people fishing in small creeks. It's just the polite thing to do. Hopefully you posting this will educate a few more people.

Everyone was at idle, but no one was making eye contact or waving or asking about the bite... sort of leads me to think they knew it wasn't the best thing to do. But seems to be ok to ease by others at idle in a creek. And by the way, did end up with a few trout and a smaller red, so it was a pretty good day overall.

I think you'll get lots of different opinions about people idling by...personally I wouldn't care if they idled by. If there's plenty of creek past you, I think you have to expect that people are going to fish it. With the number of fisherman up here and the number of creeks along the intercoastal, I think you have to expect that someone may pass by you in a creek....

First off welcome to Jax. The creeks are more crowded than ever because the ocean continues to be shutdown - plus the sheer population difference between Jacksonville and Stuart equal quite a bit more pressure. I've spent hours drifting flats behind Hutchinson Island without coming within 400 yards of another boat ---- don't expect that to happen in a creek..... it could happen, I just would never expect it anymore.

Having said that, I've been passed by several hundred boats in various creeks in my time fishing in Jax and I could probably count on one hand the number of times anyone motored by me without slowing down to a (at least intentional) courtous speed. Sounds like you had some bad luck. I'm assuming thats what you mean?

On the other hand if your talking about people turning around and going the other way because they see you're already working a creek that's never gonna happen. Everyone (including me) thinks its "their" creek.

Not to be an a-hole but if coming by you on plane means I get out of the creek or not… I’m going by you on plane. I can think of a few creeks that I could get into on plane, but not at idle and if I was so inclined to get back past you I wouldn’t let you fishing stop me. Just remember that not everyone has all day to idle around you, not everyone is sitting around soaking bait, not everyone has a boat that idles well. Now… if I can idle I certainly will and if I don’t HAVE to get into that creek I won’t but don’t get your panties in a knot if I do. What pisses me off is when people anchor directly in a creek mouth… those people deserve to get a fly by.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast