not sure what unit to get

Florida Sportsman

not sure what unit to get

I have a 20 foot mako I plan on doing some offshore fishing for grouper/snapper ect and need a new fish finder. I have settled on hummingbird but not really sure what unit I should get. My choice is between the 788ci HD DI, and the 798ci HD DI. Not real sure what the diffrence is between the two. I have been doing some reading on the two and from what I have gathred is the 798ci HD SI has both side and down imaging but the supplied transducer is just ok and with a upgraded transducer you will get clearer images. Also I'm confused as alot of people who own the 798ci HD SI say they have to download new software to get both SI and DI. however the discription in the catalog states 798ci HD SI fishfinder/gps/ fishfinder with side and down imaging. Does this mean it's ready to go out of the box with both or do I need to update the software?

Next is the 788ci HD DI. I guess this unit is the same as the 798ci only without the SIDE IMAGING. But can the 788ci be upgraded to si/di like the 798ci with a new transducer and a software update? I'm just a little confused as there is about a $250 dollar diffrence between the two.

I would like to have both the Si and the Di but if I had to choose between the two i feel the DI is going to be easier to lear and work. I know it's alot but any help would be awsome.

Everything works right out of the box with the 798 ci hd. Side image and down image and switchfire. Im gonna be doing a transducer upgrade soon so I will let you know if it is any different. I have run my boat too shallow too many times and the bracket on the transducer is pretty beat up.

Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy5780 View Post
    I have a 20 foot mako I plan on doing some offshore fishing for grouper/snapper ect and need a new fish finder. I have settled on hummingbird but not really sure what unit I should get. My choice is between the 788ci HD DI, and the 798ci HD DI. Not real sure what the diffrence is between the two. I have been doing some reading on the two and from what I have gathred is the 798ci HD SI has both side and down imaging but the supplied transducer is just ok and with a upgraded transducer you will get clearer images. Also I'm confused as alot of people who own the 798ci HD SI say they have to download new software to get both SI and DI. however the discription in the catalog states 798ci HD SI fishfinder/gps/ fishfinder with side and down imaging. Does this mean it's ready to go out of the box with both or do I need to update the software?

Next is the 788ci HD DI. I guess this unit is the same as the 798ci only without the SIDE IMAGING. But can the 788ci be upgraded to si/di like the 798ci with a new transducer and a software update? I'm just a little confused as there is about a $250 dollar diffrence between the two.

I would like to have both the Si and the Di but if I had to choose between the two i feel the DI is going to be easier to lear and work. I know it's alot but any help would be awsome.

Jeremy,

There is a difference between the 788ci HD DI and a 798ci SI unit. The difference is the 788ci HD DI has 2D Sonar, Down Imaging and GPS. The 798ci unit has 2D Sonar, Side Imaging, Down Imaging and GPS. THE 788CI HD DI unit can not be upgraded to a Side Imaging unit.

The 798ci HD unit will come with Down Imaging you will not have to do a software upgrade to get this feature.

Thanks

Joby