Flats/waist packs. - Page 4

Florida Sportsman

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    No they're not. People spend what they want to spend, just like anything else. If you go to any reputable shop, they'll have a selection of gear that covers the low-mid and high end price point. Nobody here has expressed any kind of obligation to purchase anything, and every suggestion made on this thread has fit within the constraints of the OP's budget. Personally, if I wanted a certain piece of gear that was beyond my budget, I think my time would be better spent off the water trying to make some money, and I definately wouldn't be sitting on a couch.

ODC, sorry you missed my point.

Banned
    LeeH, the thing with most forums is people ask for input on various products such as rods, reels, fly lines etc. Everyone in most cases buy and use what they like and what they can afford. Most people find through experience what works best for them. As far as your point I Think I Get It. So would I be better off going to Walmart or K Mart for that camera bag.

Well, I found a new sling pack at bps in orlando today. (fly shop area)

It had waist straps also , but I cut those off and burnt the ends. Lots of room, two large main compartments ,plus two pockets for leader and a couple of other small pockets ,one that looks like it will hold small bottle of water.

If it doesn't last I won't be heart broken , only spent $35.

Banned
    Take a look at the Orvis Sling Pack, the Magnum is on sale for $79.00, that is $40 off the list. I have the regular Sling and it awesome, going to get this one and use it for Striped Fishing because it will carry a ton of stuff and the thing feels like it is not there at all.

The one I have now will become my Flats bag. The best advantage is when fishing Stripers we use stripping baskets and this bag slides around to your back and does not block your vision at all. That was the reason I never wanted or used a chest pack. Fanny Packs are great as long as you never wade above your thighs. I understand some are waterproof but are a reel pain in the fanny to get into because of their design.

Yeah, I saw that one on sale ,it may be my next bag.

I actually ended up with the Sage fanny packs...both the large and the small! They're on Sierratradingpost and with the 35% email coupons they send you, well heck I got each a fraction of what they were retail. For anyone that's not seen them, they are pretty sweet. Maybe not worth the $225 they were in shops, but for what they are on STP, worth it.
    Ranger 200C/Yamaha 225 Sport

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358740162.737212.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	68822

It's not much, but I bought this fanny pack at WalMart about 3 years ago for hunting and it has been my pack for everything I do outside since. It's lined with some type of rubber/plastic and I've submerged it many times on the flats and never leaked. If I'm wearing waders I tighten down the straps and snap it through my wader/shoulder straps for a chest back. It's adjustable enough to sling if I'm fishing waist deep as well. The main compartment is large enough for all of my goodies and a water bottle, I hope this thing never breaks down lol.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxfly View Post
    Thanks guys. I like the look of that Sage pack. I'll look around for those. Anyone use the Simms headwaters packs? I like all my Simms bags and stuff I have now, just haven't seen their new stuff in-hand.
    I have used a Simms pack, not the headwaters, but their flats pack. It's water resistant, and that is important to me. It's a bit small, but it carries around two or three saltwater fly boxes, leaders, tippets, pliers, water bottles, and a towel just fine. Fits five or six mid sized freshwater boxes, or one or two saltwater boxes and a spare reel/spool.
    www.afrcustomtackle.zxq.net
    Custom Rods, Lures, and Flies

aidan.ryan4@gmail.com
    407-913-4803 (Leave a message or text)

Banned

Magnum Sling Pack

A few of us finally decided to get the New Orvis Sling Pack while it was on sale. We all have the original Sling pack and are very happy with the way it performs and when we wear it, it is very comfortable and very easy to access. If it has one draw back it would be the limited space.

The new bag is bigger and I decided to see just exactly how much I could fit in it. The reason I did this is there are times when we go on a hike and will not be returning to the car for the day.

In most cases it will not be loaded to the max, but it is now nice to know I can do this and have everything I might need in one bag and I will be ale to move without having to occasionally go back to retrieve a second small back pack as I did before.

I am able to get my rain jacket, a second reel and three spools along with 4 boxes of flies, spare pre-made leaders, cutters, scissors, a buff, two lights ( one head lamp and one flash light ), a emergency poncho , two spools of leader material, my camera and ferrule wax.

I am sure as the season goes on the bag will get refined but for now I am very pleased with the potential of the bag.

My original sling pack will now become my flats pack when I don't need to carry as much.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0329rt.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	70823

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast