Flats/waist packs. - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I use a sling pack by Recycled Waders. It looks like the Wm Joseph used by ODC. As with many good products, they no longer make it. They told me they are working on an updated model.

Quote Originally Posted by ckfrank View Post
    I use a sling pack by Recycled Waders. It looks like the Wm Joseph used by ODC. As with many good products, they no longer make it. They told me they are working on an updated model.
    X2, that recycled waders sling was a long time favorite.

I often use a stripping basket and find the waist packs are uncomfortable when worn with the basket. I currently use a Camelbak MULE pack. I realized that the heaviest and most difficult item for me to carry when fishing on foot was an ample supply of water. I went with the pack that was best suited to carry water. The MULE has plenty of pocket space for leader material, a big fly box, tools, etc. and can comfortably carry up to 3 liters of water for those long days on foot in August.

+ waterproof boxes / bags inside.

I've been through a couple Simms and Sage waist bags, and while they are nice enough, they are just over priced fanny packs. I also used to go for water resistant stuff, but if your wading any where near waist deep water or rough water your contents are gonna get soaked. Now I just use waterproof boxes for things that don't need to get wet and wade with the intention of the bag getting soaked, just give it a good flushing with the rest of the gear. One thing that I wanted was a water bottle (beer) holder, and that's normally only found on hiking waist packs.

I have two - this one i've used a good bit and like it just fine. The zipper can be cranky, but overall i like it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DryCreekFlatsPack.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	16063

And then i have one like this, although not this color. Got it for fishing with a spey rod, but just never got around to trying it out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48259.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	16064

May have to try it for flats.

I ended up ordering the smaller Sage Typhoon and I found the Simms Headwaters from last year on sale, so I got one of those as well. Got the Sage pack today...I'm blown away. What an awesome pack. It's just as cool as can be and is plenty big enough, in fact I'd not want anything larger. The Simms pack should be here Monday or Tuesday, but we're icing up here, so it'll be next spring for carp that I get to use them. Thanks for the recommendations.
    Ranger 200C/Yamaha 225 Sport

Glad you like it and that I could be of help....that's what these forums are for!

Got my Simms Headwaters in the mail yesterday. Very nice pack as well. It's got alot going on...almost too much. My girfriend said, "man, what is all this stuff for?" and I had trouble telling here what I'd put into all the respective pockets!

Ok, I have a stupid question...how am I supposed to use the neck straps on these packs? Is that for conversion to a sling method of wearing them, or wearing them on the front and the strap around my neck? They're really nice, padded straps, but you obviously don't wear them with the pack where I plan to wear it...on my backside. I understand it's there to help with loadbearing, but I'm curious how I'm "supposed" to wear it and use it. And of course they're removable, so I don't have to use them, but seeing as most every fanny pack has them now, they must be there for a reason. My last time wading fishing was probably 5-6 years ago before all these neck straps showed up so now that I'm seeing them on everything...fill me in.
    Ranger 200C/Yamaha 225 Sport

2nd the Camelbak MULE.

Been thinking about one of these for around 60.00 I think you could use the flap as a rod holder.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast