Inshore destinations with camping

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Inshore destinations with camping

Got some new light weight camping gear for Christmas that I am looking to try out some time soon. Any recommendations on where to go and camp either in a camp ground or primitive camping on islands somewhere with in a reasonable driving distance from south Florida, 3 hour drive or less from Deerfield? Already looking at Everglades National Park. Some place with some good inshore fishing. I am not familiar with the west coast and where are good camp grounds or areas that camping on the islands is allowed. I have a few ideas of where to go, but I am interested in hearing where people with some experience suggest.

Thanks

Fort Desoto Park is my fav. Plenty of info online. Google Earth says the rest.

Chokoloskee,EvergladeCity

If you realy want to do it right ,you can pay Capt Wright to take you and your kayak way out there and drop you off for a couple of days.There will be fish and wildlife.

Man that sounds cool.
    This is out of your preferred range (near Gainesville), but the Suwannee river is EXCELLENT for paddle camping.
    It even has it's own species of bass!
    There are a few outfitters that will pick you up at a take out point for a small fee.
    You won't catch any snook or tarpon, But I've done it several times and it's just so darn peaceful.

I've also done some paddle camping in the town of Suwannee, where the river flows into the gulf (near cedar key) and that's also pretty cool. Shallow with some islands and tons of oyster reefs.
    I've been looking into paddle camping at Costa Cayo across from Boca Grande...looks fishy ;)

Quote Originally Posted by joedaddy View Post
    Man that sounds cool.
    This is out of your preferred range (near Gainesville), but the Suwannee river is EXCELLENT for paddle camping.
    It even has it's own species of bass!
    There are a few outfitters that will pick you up at a take out point for a small fee.
    You won't catch any snook or tarpon, But I've done it several times and it's just so darn peaceful.

I've also done some paddle camping in the town of Suwannee, where the river flows into the gulf (near cedar key) and that's also pretty cool. Shallow with some islands and tons of oyster reefs.
    I've been looking into paddle camping at Costa Cayo across from Boca Grande...looks fishy ;)
    These are going to be quick weekend trips, I am trying to plan a trip down most if not all of the Suwanee River when I can get a longer time off of work. I am from Gainesville originally and have done lots of fishing out of Suwanee and ever more out of Cedar Key. Fished Cedar Key over Christmas with lots of small red's and small trout all over with a few keepers mixed in.

and costa cayo?

Hit Hells bay. There are 3 chickee's out there at a cost of 10 bucks. You have a bath room and your elevated off the water. Paddle is a bit on the challegeing side to get there but if your planing on staying over night its worth it. Did the paddle in one day and it blowed. Some fish not much.... I struggled to catch a slam but still it was a feet and a half as no one else in my party of 4 caught anything but ladys. I like watching and hearing people catch; that place is more of a paddle and picture with beautiful landscapes.

Quote Originally Posted by joedaddy View Post
    and costa cayo?
    When I get more than one night the 4 hour drive could be worth it. I have never fished there but my Dad used to go down there to Boca Grande for Tarpon a lot.

Canaveral National Seashores has a backcountry camping permit system. Not sure how it works as I've never been out there, but I am planning on going soon. The word is that you get your own little island. There's a few spots that look like they're a close paddle to middle island.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast