FS Wants To Meet Your Pet! - Page 3

Florida Sportsman

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hey Michael!!! What's new? Believe it or not, I was also thinking of a yellow labradoodle as well. I like the "no-shed" aspect of the breed, and they are (correct me if I am wrong) slightly smaller than the average lab, which is good, since my present skiff is only 16 ft. long. They're smart to boot.

Not to de-rail, but I'll be in Florida soon. I was in Florida for the last 3 months, but was so busy that fishing never entered my mind, except for a few hours here and there, in the river with a friend. Should be back before the end of March. When is Spring Break over with?

The sun is a concern for the dogs. The way I deal with it is first, they always have the light colored lightweight preserver on which keeps the sun off most of them. Second, I have a dog bimini which runs from the platform to the console creating a shade area if he wants if the main bimini is not in use. Third, they jump in quite a bit to stay wet. Everytime I move we stop 100 yrds away, he does 5 min. swim the to the spot to fish. There is always a cooler of water with ice open for a drink by the console. I try to take them only on morning or afternoon trips and avoid the hot part of the middle of the day in summer. As for black vs. yellow, I could not bear the thought of another blacklab face looking at me every morning after loosing Windsor. Maybe in a few years. It was a pretty big deal around here loosing him.
    Last edited by Egrets Landing; 03-02-2012 at 03:46 PM.

This is our beagle Penny. Perhaps the most content boat / fishing dog I've ever met.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	23660Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	23661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	23662

Mack & the Maverick

This is Mack from Miami. He is a 3yr old English Bulldog who stalks the flats with the best of them!
    This picture was taken near Cudjoe Key, FL. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	24706

My critters

Here's my boy Cody. He's an awesome dog... his favorite activities are hiking and swimming. If I gave him the choice of a big juicy steak or going for a hike there's no question he would ignore the meat (well, he might carry it with him). When we go out on hikes I don't need a leash, and he never gets in trouble with other dogs or people. Well, almost never... One time we were on a hike in the woods of Maine and he went off for a few minutes and came back with 100+ porcupine quills stuck all over his muzzle, mouth, and neck / chest. He never even yelped. By the time we got to the vets he had already pulled out about 30 of them. He also enjoys destroying decaying trees... I don't know why exactly but maybe he smells mice in there or something. When walking on a leash he never pulls. He will swim for literally 2-3 hours...fetching the stick is fun, but if there's no stick he'll just keep swimming. He will swim in ice water...literally, when there's snow on the ground he'll go swim in the stream. But try giving him a bath or shower and he HATES it...tail between the legs. When we're in Key West he likes helping me open coconuts.

The only time he's NOT a good dog is when we try to take him fishing...then he goes totally nuts and wants to eat every fish, crab, and bait he sees. The only way to keep him calm is to let him suck on his blankie... The speed of the blankie sucking indicates how much pent up frustration he has, and when he's on the boat he could win an Olympic gold medal if they made blankie sucking a sport. At the end of the day he literally has worn his muzzle raw from sucking. I used to think we could get him to calm down by taking him out more, but at age 8...well...maybe by age 12-14 he might calm down on the boat. Or not.

This is my other dog, Anna, and she is very much a Mama's Girl. We call her "Velcro Dog" because she's usually within inches of my wife's legs, or pointing at the door where my wife is. She's pretty obsessed with food...either her regular rations, or anything that doesn't run fast enough. Rats or anything else with fur are her specialty (not that we've had many, but she caught a couple out from under the woodpile). She's a very fast dog...like almost greyhound fast.

The two of them together lounging poolside in Key West.

This is my other favorite son, Baxter. We have 9 cats but he is by far the biggest character. He takes being bad to an art form, but he's always cute about it. He's 17 lbs and I can wrestle with him but he's never once laid a tooth on me (or bit down hard anyway), even when combing knots out. He has 7 toes on each paw, which makes him look kind of comical, but he can control all of his toes (and claws). He likes to unroll toilet paper. He also likes to play with the water in the toilet, and he'll splash it with his paws and get the seat wet. He also has a harem of cat-sized dog toys. He drags them into my office, where he has his way with them (even though he is neutered). One time he broke ALL of the ligaments in his rear leg (knee) and we had to get surgery done to repair it. The bill was $2200. He was in a cast for like 6 weeks, and while he was in the cast, he would chase after our other cats. I would be downstairs in my office and hear THUMP THUMP THUMP on the floor as he sprinted after the other cats with his peg leg. It's pretty amazing but now his leg is COMPLETELY healed, like he never even injured it, and he's back to being a freaking daredevil...he'll jump off of anything, and can jump over our king size bed without hardly touching it (or maybe he launches off of it, but if so he's so fast I can't tell). He also loves fish...most any kind will do, but mahi or tuna are his favorites, and if I'm cleaning or cooking fish he asks for some loudly. He's so tall he can almost see over the counter, and he'll put his paws up over the counter especially if there's fish up there. Bad, but cute. He's an awesome cat.

Wow nice pics Nauticalwheeler, what camera are you using to take those shots?

Thanks. I use a Nikon D300S. I'm not really good enough and I don't take enough pictures to do the camera justice, but a few times a year I do my best. For the indoor shots I prefer natural lighting (no flash) which takes a pretty fast lens and/or high ISO.

Name:	8526_1181830199254_1633171550_477407_1787033_n[1].jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	27312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8526_1181832479311_1633171550_477414_3561036_n[1].jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	27313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8526_1181830119252_1633171550_477405_3557772_n[1].jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	27314
    His name is Dakota, an 8 year old Pomeranian that loves to go for boat rides.

My gal Libby she is pushing pushing 12 but still hunts hard!

Name:	Picture 004.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	30650
    Here's my fishing buddy, Diller. He loves the boat!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast