Goofy Bird
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

Thread: Goofy Bird

Goofy Bird

When we were out on the Gulf yesterday, a pair of cormorants came over to the boat and gave us a good show swimming around under the gin clear water. Then one of them decided to come up over the transom and get into boat with us. After poking it with fishing rods and a gaff, it went up to the bow where it just sat there for a while.

The other one stuck around for a while, but finally took off leaving its buddy on the boat.

Finally, one of us went up to pull the anchor and pushed the bird off the boat. Then it came around and perched on the platform for for over an hour once we persuaded it to stay out of the boat.

The bird just calmly sat there either drying its wings, preening, or putting its head under a wing and sleeping. It finally jumped off as we got the boat up on plane to move to another spot.

I've never seen anything like that before. It must have been a dock pet or something.

That's cool but I wish people wouldn't make those wild birds people friendly. How many of us have had to clean bird sheet off or the boat after going through the mouth of the river with all those birds begging for food?

Nice pics Lee......I have had those birds hang around the boat on the shallow flats and chow whatever we threw back till they're full. Can't call them stupid!
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber

Not to derail, and since we are talking about birds, here on Lake Weir, we have a white pelican living in my area of the lake. Rather unusual, he is alone, and seems to be healthy, wonder how long he will stay.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeman View Post
    Not to derail, and since we are talking about birds, here on Lake Weir, we have a white pelican living in my area of the lake. Rather unusual, he is alone, and seems to be healthy, wonder how long he will stay.
    We have tons of them here on the coast but to see one alone is odd. They are truly beautiful animals.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber

He was tired. Most of the time, the water birds will simply wear out. The snake birds MUST dry their feathers regularly or they won't be able to fly. Ever notice how they drag their butts / tails along the surface while taking flight ?

Yeah, that's what I figured. It wasn't interested in our baits. He was about 10 miles offshore, which is probably a good haul for one of those birds.

I felt bad about knocking him off the boat. But there was a pontoon boat out of Bayport right there, so he didn't have far to go if he needed some more rest.

Here's some of my trained vultures that I use for fish guts disposal in my yard:

Sometimes it looks like the African Veldt out there: