Cape Coral Direct Access Canal Fishing

Florida Sportsman

Cape Coral Direct Access Canal Fishing

I just bought a house in Cape Coral on a direct access canal. I will be about 4 blocks East of Del Prado and South of Cornwallis just North of the canal intersection. We are less than a half mile from the river with no bridges. I am just wondering if I can expect to catch anything in the backyard and if so what and what kind of gear and bait should be used. I plan on buying a boat soon, but probably not until summer when they are a little cheaper and we get all settled in. I used to fish in these canals when I was a kid, but that was years ago and I forgot what I was catching and what I used, another fabulous side effect of age. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

Catfish, catfish and more catfish. They're a nuisance in the canals. Try live shrimp and pinfish off the bottom to avoid the cats. You should be able to get snook at night, ladyfish, redfish, mangrove snapper and watch out for bull sharks in the summer in that area.

I catch lots of fish in the canals, in the winter you can score nice fish on windy days. I use 20# braid and 2-3ft 20# floro leader, small circle hook and a split shot. Sheepshead and small Reds are around deeper docks Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	11256 and yes you will catch a FEW catfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyranger View Post
    Catfish, catfish and more catfish. They're a nuisance in the canals. Try live shrimp and pinfish off the bottom to avoid the cats. You should be able to get snook at night, ladyfish, redfish, mangrove snapper and watch out for bull sharks in the summer in that area.
    If you like the cats. Come to my dock! I got tons of them. they come in handy some times as grouper bait. just break off the spines and hook them through the lips.
    The big jacks should start showing up any day now.

live really close to you. Lots of Cats in the canals here. I get some snappers at night sometimes. Have see bi tarpon, reds, and sharks. I started grilling cats. Not bad to eat. I use them for bait as well.