Tips and Pointers Please share your winning tactics. - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I posted this in another thread but it probly should be here.

Winter time dock fishing is fun. Look for docks that have clean, moving water. Also look for bottom that has opposing contours or potholes relatively close to the docks. The presence of bait is always a good sign also. I like the first 2 hours of the falling tide best for fishing docks. Football head jigs (like the ones for bass fishing) with gulp ghost shrimp are a great choice of baits. Or you can go with live shrimp with a split shot.

For winter fishing, a buddy of mine uses nothing but popping corks (CT style)--- he takes the time the night before to measure out and cut 3 different lengths of leaders precisely and ties them onto different cajun thunders and light wide-gapped jig heads. He then takes a marker he puts a number on each cork top indicating the length of leader. He runs his braid through a small bead and then to a small snap-swivel, which he can then easily swap out the cork and thus the leader lengths... He has a small cut in each cork allowing him to 'spool' the leader onto the cork to keep it neat in the tackle box.

Now, he has a modular setup that allows him to quickly change from 18" / 24" / 36" depths based on the bottom our boat is drifting... He showed me this on the last trip and it was quite neat how he just walked over to the bottom reading and quickly changed corks until he found which length was producing bites for that depth of water. Meanwhile, I was tying on mirrolures and slashbaits, so the system didn't really work for that style of fishing.

I just thought it was a 'neat' system and felt like sharing, I'm too finicky at the boat and probably spend more time changing baits than fishing, but may be tempted to try it on a lazy day.

BTW, Kyle- we talked about it briefly when I went fishing w/ you... I did some further research on the differences between the vanish fluoro 20lb line and the vanish fluoro 20lb leader material--- I couldn't fathom why it was so much more expensive (for less line); it turns out, it is in fact a thicker diameter line to prevent cut offs--- but I still don't think I'll use it--- it's way more expensive and I can visibly tell the difference, so I know the fish probably can, too.

Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!

I like the cork ID system and leader keeper. Just can't be too organized out there.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber

I had a guy tell me about a lure that he was using to catch trout and reds with that is a soft plastic shrimp like lure made by the Culprit company it is the Riptide 3'' shrimp it is a soft plastic that has long plastic legs that is made to be used on a jig head. I bought several different styles and they are as tough as a Gulp! but they dont have the same smelly stuff and they dont shrink. I bought some white ones and some with the white/ yellow tails and they cost about .38 cents a piece unlike the 1.00 a piece Gulp! lures. If I can find the link I will post a link to the site. This should be the link http://www.culpritstore.com/catalog2...line=2&type=32
    Last edited by APE; 12-01-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: add link

Unclogged ...

A small piece of vinyl tubing on the shaft of a circle hook can help to keep a live bait from clogging the gap when setting the hook on a run. Put the point through both sides of the tubing and slide it up the shaft far enough to let the bait hang down. You could also use a drop of epoxy. It stays in place better, but can't be repositioned for different sized baits.

Toothy critter rig (click to enlarge) ...

As used on the flats ...

There's a book by one of our Big Bend Captains,Capt Ken Roy (now retired), that can be purchased online that has tons of info that he's learned over an eon of fishing. The Book of Fishing Secrets Saltwater edition can be found by going to www.panhandlefishingbooks.com/
    I'm waiting on my book that should be under the Christmas tree soon.
    http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p341728

FOR RENT: Beautiful 2 bed 2 bath condo in Hunter Springs, Crystal River

I saw this on the FS TV show; if you frequent the same boat ramp, put some tape around your guide posts at the exact water level for the easiest loading/unloading of your boat. That way, it makes it easier for you to back it down quick, and if someone else backs down your truck- you can explain it easy.

Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!

When drifting in shallow water I leave my motor part way down as an early warning device that I am too shallow.

I used to fish the Rainbow River a lot and fishing that clear water opened my eyes a bit. While fishing a rapala one day I retrieved it by a few bass that didn't even give it a second look. On the next cast instead of a straight retrieve I jerked the lure making it slash side to side. Those bass jumped on that lure. That erratic action is what got them going.
    I use that same tactic on the flats using lures like a Storm Thunderstick or Rapala X-Rap and have really good results. You do need to put better hooks on them then what comes with lures. Those factory hooks will get straightened out real quick.
    Also like spoons. I use the aftermarket Johnson Spoons. Cut off the weed guard and clamp down that hook barb and you are good to go. I dress it up with a chartreuse Berkley power grub curly tail and a sliver of gulp shrimp.
    Of course no fishing trip is complete without some topwater gear. I really like the Skitterwalk. Instead of walking the dog try a simple straight retrieve. The only problem with this approach is sometimes the fish really inhale it and you are digging the lure out of their throats.
    I am by no means an expert. I have only been fishing SW since 08 but so far these techniques work for me. I really don't target a specific fish but try to catch whatever is active at the moment.

Here is how I tie circle hooks to heavy leader . I use a uni-knot with the shank of the hook acting as the "line" I'm tying to.
    Reason is to get the line through the barb side of the hook. More on that later.
    Start by threading the line through the front (barb side) of the eye.

Make a loop and wrap 6 times away from the hook eye.

Pull main line while holding loops untill snug. Finish by pulling main and tag good and tight.

That's only 5 loops but it's just to see the finished knot. I cut the tag about even with the bottom of the hook and it helps some to keep the bait from sliding up the shank.
    If you pull it through or across you hand it will roll the barb INTO position to set . A tight palomar or other knot can let circle hook swing away sometimes and miss the jaw.

Again , it works best with stiffer/heavier leader material and was shown to me by a commercial longline guy although he uses a different knot.
    "You'll get your weather"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast