Smoke then Grill Turkey. Bad idea?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smoke then Grill Turkey. Bad idea?

Hey all,

Each year I cook three turkeys for Thanksgiving. One in the oven, one in the fryer and one either on the grill or in the smoker. Of all of them, I usually like the smoked turkey the best. My guests tend to like the fried one. (Some years the roasted one wins!) The smoked turkey is always a lot of work because it takes so long to cook and my basic charcoal smoker requires a good deal of handholding to keep it's temperature in the right range. Typically, the smoked flavor is gained in the first several hours of the smoking process. So this year I am thinking about starting the turkey on the smoker for around 3 or 4 hours and then moving it to the grill to finish it off. It's a 15lb bird, so to smoke it the full time would be around 7.5 hours at 225-250 by my math. Am I making a big mistake by trying to cut some time and effort out of the process by finishing it on the grill? If this is NOT a bad idea, any suggestions on temp, time, etc. from others who have done it before?

Thanks!

-Chad

No, I think that isn't a bad plan at all. Smoke first, finish on the grill. Give it a try and once you hit the internal temp needed, remove her.

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Smoke it for a few hours, then fry it. It will be the best turkey you have ever had!!
    "Beer is not a matter of life or death, It is much more important than that!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by caldnsik View Post
    Smoke it for a few hours, then fry it. It will be the best turkey you have ever had!!
    that just might be crazy enough to work!

Quote Originally Posted by caldnsik View Post
    Wow, now that is a really excellent idea. What a great way to seal in that smoked flavor and moisture. Great call!! I may have to go that route. Anyone see a drawback? Just need to be a little careful on the frying time so I don't over-cook it.

Senior Member Capt'n. Chumbucket's Avatar
    If/when you do it please be sure to take time out for a photo op and post results here. I'd be interested in the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt'n. Chumbucket View Post
    If/when you do it please be sure to take time out for a photo op and post results here. I'd be interested in the outcome.
    I agree....don't see any reason why either wouldn't work.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985

Banned
    Sounds like a plan to me. I've never thought of doing that. I don't seem to have a problem with smoking the bird all the way on the BGE though.

Banned
    Nothing is wrong with that..... Foul can be over smoked.

Interesting to hear the outcome. The only issue is the time in the fryer. Is there a way to gauge how much time, since the bird is already partially cooked?

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast