Weekend Mullet report !!

Florida Sportsman

Weekend Mullet report !!

Well I sold my old Fountain, and spent Saturday cleaning the garage, so by Sat night I was already having withdrawal symptoms, by not having that big boat sitting there. Plus I was organizing all my fishing stuff, which didn't help.

But my little 15 ft Key West was calling me....saying, "come on Snakey, take me for a spin"...."come sit in my lap and I'll bounce up and down on the waves"...you know, tempting stuff like that

Anyway, Sunday came and me and Mrs Snake were headed back home after church....and we were headed over the Dames Point bridge, and I noticed a bunch of boats in Mill Cove. I actually noticed them on the way to church, but wasn't sure what they were up to. Now on the way back I paid special attention to them, and could see all the drivers on the front of the bows....AH-HA !! Mullet boats!!...I knew it.

My wife's like, what are you talking about??...I said those are the mullet fleet...they travel all over Florida, cast netting those big ol Roe Mullet, and one of them told me that they are somewhere in Florida all year long. A tough way to make a living if you ask me....but they were hard at work.

So anyhow...she knew what was coming next...I said I'm gonna go get me some mullet for the smoker, hadn't had some good smoked mullet in a while, and these should have a good amount of fat in 'em and should be full of roe to boot.

It took me all of 10 minutes to get the little boat ready and to dump some ice in my cooler...all I needed was a cast net and some ice in a cooler...and I was off headed to mill cove, all of 5 minutes away. And as I cruised in there amongst them boats, I just eased along and watched and took mental notes, to see what they were looking for and what not , and to try to stay clear of these guys since they were making a living....I figured I'd get a few and that would be it.

There musta been 20 boats in there, and some of them were rigged to the tee...with custom fish boxes, huge custom fish boxes, I might add...and custom consoles right on the bow...

Finally over by the power lines I saw a "blooorp", on the wind chopped surface, and my instincts said hey that's probably what I'm looking for....so I eased over that way, and threw my 10 foot pogy net in that general area. I was in 6 feet of water, and as I pulled it up I could feel a slight tug on my lead lines, and sure enough...I had myself a genuine five pound full grown roe mullet !!

I said to myself..."holy crap, look at that turd !!"...and I quickly iced him and started looking for some more. Well each subsequent toss yielded one or two mullet, some smaller, some the same as the first one...but all of them were a hoot. There were a couple of those mullet guys that actually talked to me and were genuinely very nice....and man, could they throw a mullet net, perfect circle every time ...one of those guys on the bow of my kingfish boat would make short work of gettin' pogies, that's for sure !! And it looked like they were tossing 14 foot nets, I'm sure custom made, and they'd get sometimes five to ten a toss.

Ended the day a couple of hours later, with a cooler of fish to clean....some big tank mullet, a drum, a redfish, and a 5 pound trout!!....and those mullet were full of roe...well they were at 14% according to my new commercial mullet friend dude....now all I gotta do is figure out how to cook the mullet roe, I have some beautiful yellow roe and some white roe, I guess you eat that too ??...any suggestions??

Anyway they were still there this morning....might have to get me some on Thanksgiving.....

Oh and for the record....you cannot tell the difference, taste wise, between a 16inch drum and a 19 inch redfish...when both are deep fried...

Steve

Well you can eat the white row if you want to...

Quote Originally Posted by Snaphappy View Post
    Well you can eat the white row if you want to...

...I hear ya, and yeah I know what it is....

I was thinkin' about giving it to capt MiKEY...He'll eat it...he'll eat anything...."he likes it !!...hey Mikey !!""

My wife eats roe from whiting, trout, etc.. just dips the egg sack in breading and fries it up.

Those giant mullet are crazy... I never knew mullet got that big before I caught one on a blind cast in the river over by OP once. I honestly thought it was a striped bass at first.

roll those roe in corn meal and fry them....good eats