The age old question. Braid vs Mono
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The age old question. Braid vs Mono

I switched to braided line almost ten years ago and use it exclusively with a fluorocarbon leader (2-3 feet). I'm contemplating a return to mono for snook fishing along the beach. I have concerns about visibility with braid and seem to always have more strikes if the water is a little murky.

Would be interested to hear any insights you may have and what size mono your using for beach snook.

Thanks!

I've been snookin' on the beach for many years...switched to braid many moons ago.... when I was using Straight mono I was only using 8 pound test with a 15 to 30 lb leader depending on size of bait/lures and water clarity... now that I use braid I use a 6 to 10 foot floro leader.

For what its worth I used to use mono up here in Northeast for stripers. One thing I did not like was the stretch it had. Switched to Power Pro braid and run a 6-8 foot 25lbs fluro leader. Love the set up, I like the fact with braid you can feel what your lure is doing, especially top water. Much easier twitches to get a pop or walk with no stretch. Especially with long distance

Every couple years I get the bright idea to spool a couple reels with mono... it usually lasts about two trips before I go back to braid.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters

Braid is thinner, as such it casts further and I can load more line on my reels. It also lasts longer, no reason not to get 3-5 years out of braid. I know others still prefer mono, which is fair. But for me, I greatly prefer braid. Braid also doesn't have a memory. I tend to use a 3-5 ft fluorocarbon leader. I like 30 lb, thin enough not to discourage bites, but still strong enough to get most things in.

Appreciate your feedback. I will probably stick with braid and use a longer leader. Will try scaling the leader down form 40 to 30 lb in clear water.

If you are going to use a longer leader (I use about 5 feet with a 7' rod) and you want to reel the knot into your guides, then I would suggest using the FG knot. Its the thinnest,strongest knot for braid to mono. The uni/uni is also very strong, but not as small. I am making a cast about every 30 seconds so I like a smooth running knot thru the guides.

If you are fishing the beach, and not around rocks, than you really only need 20lb leader in clear water and 30lb in not as clear water. For rocks use 30-40lb. I like to use a leader thats at least 4ft, usually longer. Change your leader often, just check it after every fish. 30lb is usually my goto leader, with 40lb being used so rarely that I've all but stopped buying it.

Braid is far better for what your doing, not saying mono doesn't have its place because it sure does. I like to use long leaders 3-4 feet leaders for beach snook and a slim line to line knot to pass through the rod guide. I like the FG knot or if i'm feeling lazy the uni knot, the uni being a quite bit thicker. Got to say I've never considered switching to mono for that application since braid casts longer and hold more line, although you usually don't need much line capacity even for a big ole spawner. Everyone is different and has better luck with one line or the other but id suggest trying a longer leader first since to me a 2-3 ft leader may be shorter than id like.

You don't need braid on the beach. When visibility is an issue mono, or even flouro is better. Casting distance, which braid is superior, is a non factor because you will be able to reach the fish you are after. Braid does last much longer. If you are going to use long leaders I suggest putting bigger eyes on your rod. Usually the last 2 or 3 eyes can be an issue, that is of course if you are casting the knot through the eyes to begin with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast