GM plans to release autonomous car in 2019
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

GM plans to release autonomous car in 2019

GM plans to release cars with no steering wheel in 2019

The automaker's fully autonomous car has no wheel and no pedal.

If the Department of Transportation grants GM's latest Safety Petition, the automaker will be able to deploy its no-steering-wheel, pedal-less autonomous car next year. GM has not only revealed what its level 4 self-driving vehicle will look like -- in a video you can watch after the break -- but also announced that it filed a Safety Petition to be able to deploy its completely driverless version of Chevy Bolt called Cruise AV in 2019. The company describes it as "the first production-ready vehicle built from the start to operate safely on its own, with no driver, steering wheel, pedals or manual controls."

Article here: https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/12/...no-wheel-2018/

Thoughts?

3 years ago a guy from Google told the kids ,at my wife school, that their plan was for kids in elementary school to never have to drive a vehicle. Looks like he might be write.

wonder what the towing capacity is
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Text away!

Quote Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
    wonder what the towing capacity is
    Or how well it can back a boat down a ramp. Has to be better that 50% of the humanoids.

Or how about having it meet you at the ramp when you get back!

Quote Originally Posted by mplspug View Post
    Text away!

Or how well it can back a boat down a ramp. Has to be better that 50% of the humanoids.

Or how about having it meet you at the ramp when you get back!
    there's an app for that
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

That is a good article. I found this paragraph, in particular, quite poignant:

The shifts and the resulting massive ripple effects will, if we choose to let them, change the way in which we live, how long we live for, and the very nature of being human. Even if my futuristic life sounds unreal, its current state is something we may laugh at within a decade as a primitive existence — because our technologists now have the tools to enable the greatest alteration of our experience of life since the dawn of humankind. As in all other manifest shifts — from the use of fire to the rise of agriculture and the development of sailing vessels, internal-combustion engines, and computing — this one will arise from breathtaking advances in technology. It is far larger, though, is happening far faster, and may be far more stressful to those living through this new epoch. Inability to understand it will make our lives and the world seem even more out of control.

No interest. I like driving.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

It will be a long time before I give up my keys. But I can see it coming for my 84 year old mother. This would still give her the freedom she wants and safety to others.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast