Muttons to 18" - limit 5 in Fed waters - Fed 10th - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Key Largo (Mostly)/Miami(As little as possible)
    Let's not forget that the Mutton population on the Atlantic side up the coast to the Carolinas has suffered greatly due to environmental issues which impact the entire food chain. I used to fish them up the coast (Ft Pierce - north) and we had a very viable fishery. Now look at all the issues with the catching (Kings, Mackerel, Vermies, etc.). If the feed goes away, so do the fish. It's a bigger problem then just a local one. Unfortunately our politicians seem to defer to others to solve their own problems (aka as our problems). The sooner we vote for those willing to take a responsible position the faster good things will happen. That's all I'm going to say about that!

Funny to see those who have a history of not following the rules to comment on this...Oh well.

What is the best thing about these limits??? Decreasing the number of fish brought back from the Bahamas during the spawn.

The Bahamas need to enforce their own rules. Their fish, their problem.

Greg, I totally agree with what you have said about the impact of ARS and sharks. However, I'm very unfamiliar with the process to change these issues. Is there any chance that the shark issue could be handled at the same time that the ARS issue would be addressed? It would a shame if the regulators only fixed 1/2 of the problem. I'd appreciate any additional input that you will share. Especially on the shark side of the issue.

Ron is butt hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Ron@.38 Special View Post
    Funny to see those who have a history of not following the rules to comment on this...Oh well.

Ron, are you still butt hurt? What would make little Ronnie happy? I'm fresh out of safety pins.

What is the best thing about these limits??? Decreasing the number of fish brought back from the Bahamas during the spawn.
    The amt of fish brought back from Bimini and Chub is so minute that it's not worth talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern View Post
    Is there any chance that the shark issue could be handled at the same time that the ARS issue would be addressed? It would a shame if the regulators only fixed 1/2 of the problem. I'd appreciate any additional input that you will share. Especially on the shark side of the issue.
    Since longlines were banned for sharks the population has exploded. I have lost so many spots because of this. You hook a mutton and then it gets eaten. Its gets so bad you never land a fish. This is also a common event in front of Key West. I hear the same complaint from day boats all the time. Remember the sound of a boat means food. The Yankee Capts makes a lot of noise.

ARS is a 10,000 page novel. I would be dead before I finished.

If you want to learn how the system works I highly encourage you to contact the Gulf of Maine Institute and enroll in the Southeast MREP program. A crash course that is a eye opener.

Greg

I kinda like the way the locals in LA deal with their shark problems. It sounds like the opening day of deer season out on the water when boats are congregated on the lump. Maybe it’s time to thin out the herd? Reminds me of that Southpark hunting episode, it’s not illegal to shoot them if they’re attacking you...just saying lol

Just kidding..or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as the mutton limits going from 10 to 5......Hammer hit the nail on the head...

HAMMER you did something special to this soul he always have a nice comment about you.

Grunts, he and a couple of other guys just despise me which kind of makes me smile. Even though they may agree with what I'm saying, they wouldn't dare ever agree with me on the forum. It's kind of like a Hillary supporter that wants the wall built but can't say it out loud. Ron's a self proclaimed do gooder, and that's fine. He trolls my posts like an ogre. I do miss little Gary C.. He was fun to poke fun of but since his wife left him, I guess he too is down in the dumps. I guess being a single unemployed fishing guide with no ability to meet women isn't all that fun but hey, you make your bed, you gotta lay in it. I did.

Now, as far as these rules and regs go, those of you that know me know that I say it like it is, I don't care if it pisses off YOU, YOUR MOMMA, the moderators or the FEDS. The whole mutton thing is a joke. Do I agree with increasing the size... you betcha. Do I think we should be allowed to keep a couple of red snappers a trip.. you betcha. ASK ANY guide in Key West if we have a serious issue with red snappers. 40 years ago we didn't have a problem with them and there wasn't a limit. There were gobs of muttons. now, the places that we'd crush the muttons are SOLID red snappers.. WHY? I truly don't think that it's because of the closures. They are the stupidest of all the snappers without a doubt. Texas has told the federal Govt to go shove it and lets them catch them. Our state doesn't want to use common sense. Here's a fact that you may not know; A commercial fishermen in Key West WHO IS LICENSED with a Gulf license goes into the Gulf and catches lets say 1000 lbs of red snapper. Now this commercial fishermen doesn't have to have any quota while the fish are on his boat..(he can literally have a million pounds while on the water), He gets on his satellite phone, calls one of the big Red Snapper barons in La. and says "I need a 1000 lbs of quota", the guy on the other end says "OK, give me your credit card, it's $3.50 lb". The fishermen, who has never even met this baron face to face, buys the quota and sells it for $6 a pound making $2.50 a pound or $2500. The baron makes $3500 and never got up on his couch... and he of course thinks this is a great system... and truly fair. Oh but wait, it gets better for our baron friend. He gets to pass this "hard work" on to his children so that they too can work really hard on the couch. This is text book lobbyist BS. All of this occurs while we, the recreational sector get 2 fish per person for 9 days. Getting back to our little scenario...The commercial fishermen has to notify NOAA before he lands the fish and must tell them who he is selling to. NOAA either shows up at the dock or at the fish house to verify and make sure that the numbers are accurate. The fish house is suppose to let NOAA know if the commercial fishermen is over... kind of like the fox watching the hen house. If there's some fish left over the 1000 lbs of quote.. it merely is listed as some other species that there is no quota for... this is how the real world works.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast