HST question
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

Thread: HST question

HST question

Finally bought some 50s and bent butts and I want to take a crack at HST for wahoo. Ive picked up a few lures, one of which is a Yo-Zuri bonita, but I keep finding conflicting advice about how to run the Yo-Zuri bonitas. Will they hold up to "high speeds" or will they blow out. I plan on pulling some trolling lead about 30ish yards in front of it. Is that necessary? TIA

Some guys fish the Yo-zuri with a weight in front of it. Some guys fish it without. It will run deeper with. You will have a harder time telling if the lure is vibrating the way that you want it to with the weight in front of it. You should be able to do about 12-16 knots without the weight before it starts skipping op top, depending on your line size. It's a pretty tough lure. If you manage to wreck it without the help of a wahoo or three actually mauling it, I will be surprised.

Run a trolling lead with a shock leader but not nearly 30yds long

I run it with 2 feet of cable, 12 feet of 400 lb shock, then a 36oz weight. It's my back lure (200 ft). Other side of boat gets a giant squid/islander monstrosity with a 24oz weight @ 150. I've never had them tangle. They will get bashed up just by the hooks and once I had the nose broken off of one. Not sure how that happened, so I am assuming a 150-lb hoo.