Sam's Club closings, now we know the rest of the story. - Page 3
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    What’s even more shocking is watching all of those people being hearded into those Walmart’s at the point of a gun!!

Quote Originally Posted by mplspug View Post
    It's 6 billion because somehow if a worker receives assistance, that is a Walmart subsidy. Give me a break. That's some unicorn style math.

As for development subsidies, for the most part I am against any government entity doling out special treatment and money to woo a corporation. That is not capitalism.
    Then why is it OK for so many cities to do it for football, etc... "BRING IN MONEY AND JOBS" THat is the excuse to hand over billions to corps. It is easy to pick and choose on a forum what we like and dont like. As always, the little things lead to big things... Sure most would agree with you, but when it first started happening 20 years ago, many were all in... Now, we compete as state vs state. That is not good for the country. Soon it will be city vs city, county vs county.... The people always lose and guys like the previous owner of the MARLINS always win.. Look at how rich that guy became on the backs of the citizens... It certainly wasnt poor people that agreed to let it happen. It was those waiting on a backdoor handout.

Quote Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
    As i hear it governors are lining up to lick the boots of Amazon right now over their new facility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatwave View Post
    Then why is it OK for so many cities to do it for football, etc... "BRING IN MONEY AND JOBS" THat is the excuse to hand over billions to corps. It is easy to pick and choose on a forum what we like and dont like. As always, the little things lead to big things... Sure most would agree with you, but when it first started happening 20 years ago, many were all in... Now, we compete as state vs state. That is not good for the country. Soon it will be city vs city, county vs county.... The people always lose and guys like the previous owner of the MARLINS always win.. Look at how rich that guy became on the backs of the citizens... It certainly wasnt poor people that agreed to let it happen. It was those waiting on a backdoor handout.
    I'm not picking and choosing and I agree with you. I am against stadium subsidies for sure, but unfortunately we are already down that rabbit hole.

Many things that are happening are good. Not everything is bad... It is good that the economy is moving forward. I would argue that it is too fast, to quick, but who am I to decide what speed things should go at... We cant keep going on like this and expect it to continue, at some point you have to pull back... What then ? Do we BLAME someone, or is it just OK that the economy collapses based on a taxcut, a pumped economy, and stagnate wages make it fall. Even when they increase wages, they cut benefits, charge more for pharma, nothing is really changing except for perception.

Guess we can just ignore reality until it gets here... Then ignore it again and make a statement like "People should have saved their money, done higher education, lived within their means" "no job, it is YOUR fault for not planning ahead, it has nothing to do with the company you work for or the CEO making billions" ? All the same stuff written here in 2008

I agree about Stadium subsidies. San Diego voted "NAH" and the team left for LA, but I'm not so sure they won't be coming back. LA wasn't filling the stadium even to half capacity and San Diego was selling it out regularly. Glad the residents took a stand and said if you want a stadium, pay for it yourself.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by mplspug View Post
    It's 6 billion because somehow if a worker receives assistance, that is a Walmart subsidy. Give me a break. That's some unicorn style math.

As for development subsidies, for the most part I am against any government entity doling out special treatment and money to woo a corporation. That is not capitalism.
    Are you saying Walmart has not received public subsidies to build stores?
    Vote for the other candidate

It will be intersting to see what happens to those soon-to-be-empty Sam's buildings.

The leases usually dictate that they cannot be used by any other competing business.

The country is littered with empty Wal-Mart buildings, and that's the main reason.

After all the local, storefront, businesses have been driven out, Walmarts that don't "perform" bug-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister-Jr View Post
    They just received them out of thin air? Was this against the will of the tax payers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister-Jr View Post
    You quoted me, yet missed the development subsidies part. But what I was really saying is your $6B subsidy post was mostly hyperbole and based on some sketchy linkage to subsidizing Walmart, when in fact it was Walmart employees receiving the subsidy.

There is a difference between capitalism and corporatism. Many people I talk to, primarily left-leaning, think they are the same.

Capitalism has done far far more for humanity than any other type of economic system. It's not perfect, but there is not a better system anywhere else.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast