Outboard for Jon Boat
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

Outboard for Jon Boat

Looking to buy a tiller outboard for my jon boat. Where in Jax sells used? Looking for a 20 or 25 hp if anyone is looking to get rid of one.

They're all over Craigslist this time of year. I would personally try to find one that has only been used in freshwater.
    My Favorite Smile Is Vertical

My Favorite Smile Is Vertical

For a john boat an older merc 2 stroke will be light enough and have more power than the equivelent four stroke. I had a 14' skiff that halled azzz with a merc 25 2 stroke. About 30mph with a tiller

You get rid of your mud motor ??.....that thing was the bomb.!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Snake View Post
    You get rid of your mud motor ??.....that thing was the bomb.!
    Heck no! But its too slow for longer runs when I dont need to get shallow or push thru vegetation. I want something to swap out for hunting the gulf or running across Loch or Sampson for crappie.

Joe I have a 1986 25hp yamaha sitting in my garage. Motor runs but won't stay in gear at throttle. Needs a clutch dog and probably a carb rebuild. I used the motor for about 4 months and when it gave me trouble I took it off, bought a brand new Evinrude 25 and haven't looked back. Anyway, message me if you're interested in putting some work into it.

With 40 years of experience in owning all sorts of outboards, my belief is that if you cannot afford it new, you damn sure can't afford it used.

if you understand ignition, fuel and compression you can get very good deals on used outboards. Some folks will not or cannot pony out $2500-$3000 for a 25. Me being one of them. Oh, I bought my first one in 1961 at the age of 13- a used 5.5 hp Sea- King.

They don't give them away, but, if you buy a new Evinrude right now they are giving a 10 year factory warranty. Hard to beat that.