When should you visit the ER? - Page 3
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Did you tell the Dr you think it's your appendix, that you Googled it?

I have noticed with SOME Drs that you can't go in and say I think it is this because I looked it up online. It's like an affront to their whole career. They get offended and it will cloud their ability to diagnose. Note I used the operative word some.

Quote Originally Posted by mplspug View Post

I have noticed with SOME Drs that you can't go in and say I think it is this because I looked it up online. It's like an affront to their whole career. They get offended and it will cloud their ability to diagnose. Note I used the operative word some.
    nope, my mother is a RN and i described the pain to her. She said go to the ER and describe the pain if they know their butts from a hole in the ground they'll get you in.

They didn't know
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by conchydong View Post
    Many of those in the ER with sniffles are probably uninsured and possibly illegals. They get treated for free at the ER.
    The correct terms are at no cost to them. The care they receive is far from free.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnAB View Post
    What, they have to treat someone having a heart attack the same as one with a cold? I don't think so, they still triage...but they still must treat everybody...sooner or later.
    I think the nurse meant that people with effectively equal triage levels are treated the same or in the order they arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Ex-pat View Post
    I think the nurse meant that people with effectively equal triage levels are treated the same or in the order they arrived.
    winner winner chicken dinner

Quote Originally Posted by fishdish View Post
    Not a doctor but why do people who obviously aren't in any type of medical emergency go to the ER? Wife went to walk in clinic the other day and they told her if things didn't improve to go to ER. Her temp got to 103 and she was in a lot of pain (she has a ton of tolerance). Told her thats it we are going to hospital since it was 9:30 pm and didn't want to wait through the night second guessing myself. Watching people come in, go through triage, and then going out to smoke and grab food is a bit disappointing. Of course someone having a heart attack or seizure, stroke, etc. should jump ahead but the people with minor flu symptoms? Not exactly an emergency in my opinion.
    Were they being seen ahead of you? By your post it sounds like they were in the waiting room with you. Did you tell them your wife had already been seen and told to return if symptoms worsened? I would hope that the ER would triage a potential renal infection higher than signs and symptoms of the very common Flu that is going around.

Quote Originally Posted by Firmanjax View Post
    What really backs up the ER are all the people who dial 911 and get transported via a rescue to the ER. Believe me there are just as many brought in and already in the back as there are sitting in the waiting room. Can't tell you how many times I've been told that someone wants to be transported so they don't have to wait in line. Good luck. Hopefully its nothing to serious.
    This is a common mis-conception. As is complaining of chest pain to get seen sooner. People are triaged from the ambulance gurney to the waiting room all the time at my hospital. We also do a rapid evaluation for certain conditions such as symptoms of a heart attack and most times they are triaged back out to the waiting room. Most ERs have about 10-50 beds max depending on the size of the hospital. Many times there are simply more people seeking care than there are beds/providers available. It is compounded by seasonal issues such as influenza. Another factor is the snow bird effect. Many of the retirees that descend upon your lovely state around November each year are heavy users of medical services. And they often arrive with symptoms of very serious issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Firmanjax View Post
    What really backs up the ER are all the people who dial 911 and get transported via a rescue to the ER. Believe me there are just as many brought in and already in the back as there are sitting in the waiting room. Can't tell you how many times I've been told that someone wants to be transported so they don't have to wait in line. Good luck. Hopefully its nothing to serious.
    yep. i worked as a tech for 3.5 years in an ed, most things here true. especially calling ems for ride for bs reasons. i remember one chick who brought her baby in with a fever, she was seen, and sent home with Rx. she was back an hour later by ems cause she couldn't afford a taxi to the drug store to get meds.

also, coming by ambulance doesn't guarantee you get in the back. we often would tell ems on the phone when they called, take them up front. the look on their faces was awesome when ems would wheel them in the back and take them up front and drop them in front of registration.

best time to come to ed, between 0300 and 0700.

Quote Originally Posted by mplspug View Post

Why would you try to drive a physician's practice. Tell them your symptoms and let them make the diagnosis. What if you are wrong but the physician allowed you to influence their diagnostics? Would you prefer an experienced physician try to figure out what is wrong with you or trust Google or WebMD? Right shoulder pain is a common sign of advanced colon cancer, left shoulder pain can be a heart attack or a ruptured spleen. Not sure you would want Motrin and physical therapy for either.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Ex-pat View Post
    Why would you try to drive a physician's practice. Tell them your symptoms and let them make the diagnosis. What if you are wrong but the physician allowed you to influence their diagnostics? Would you prefer an experienced physician try to figure out what is wrong with you or trust Google or WebMD? Right shoulder pain is a common sign of advanced colon cancer, left shoulder pain can be a heart attack or a ruptured spleen. Not sure you would want Motrin and physical therapy for either.
    Come on you know people. They driver to the mechanic's then tell them what is definitely wrong with their cars because they googled it, and 99% of the time they are dead wrong. people are people. They all think they have infinite wisdom because their phones told them that squeal was a fan belt not a wheel bearing.

And that pain in their chest is a heart attack, not a panic attack, or indigestion, or gas.

Problem is I tell my mother who's a RN what i'm feeling, she says appendix. I tell the ER doc the same thing, he's not sure.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast