When should you visit the ER? - Page 7
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBumpkin View Post
    So let me see if I got this correct.......if I do any research to try to self diagnose my condition then I'm an idiot.

But once the doctor tells me what I got..........I'm supposed to dictate and insist what he prescribes for me based on the pharmaceutical companies advertisements I've been bombarded with all day.

YJCMTSU
    Not an idiot. But Google "Abdominal Pain" and see the myriad of things that come up as possibilities. Then tell me if, in your opinion, an ER MD has the time to chase down each possibility. Not that I have ever seen but maybe where you live that type of time and money exist.

Quote Originally Posted by CountryBumpkin View Post
    So let me see if I got this correct.......if I do any research to try to self diagnose my condition then I'm an idiot.

But once the doctor tells me what I got..........I'm supposed to dictate and insist what he prescribes for me based on the pharmaceutical companies advertisements I've been bombarded with all day.

YJCMTSU
    actually if you're smart, you'll get a second opinion
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

I have been to the emergency room four times in my life. Every other time I needed medical attention after hours I went to a walk in clinic since they are quicker and can handle most non emergencies. Once was chest pains that was stress related after a lot of tests. Twice was when I went to the walk in clinic for stitches and they referred me to the emergency room. The first was a knife through my hand and they were worried I had cut tendons and the other was an old picture tube monitor fell ten feet on my head and cut it open, and they said I need a CAT scan.

The last time was this weekend due to my sciatica. My back locked up, any minor movement caused pain like I had never felt in my life. They shot me full of Prednisone and pain killers and sent me on my way in about 4 hours. Saw my doctor Monday and got to get a new MRI now to see where we go. Back still hurts in the mornings, but at least I can walk and the pain gets better as I move around.

Every time I went I got in fairly quickly, When I went in with the chest pains I waited 5 minutes, the two referrals form a walk in clinic, maybe 30 minutes, the last time as soon as I got there.

I always, if needed, will go to a walk in clinic after hours and let them refer me if they think it is needed. It is cheaper and quicker in most cases.
    "mini-mart magnate"
    I am just here for my amusement

I usually go when I have a few broken bones, although once I cut my knee open and it was spraying things. I put an old sock on it, but it was still a little too messy so I had to have a friend drive me in, it was my clutch knee, and I didn’t want to mess up my truck that bad.

You should all try the Palm Bay Hospital ER on a weekend when the entire population of Fellsmere moves in for their weekly med "appointments." I've always wanted to walk in wearing a Immigration police vest and see how many get well real quick!

Quote Originally Posted by dave44 View Post
    I usually go when I have a few broken bones, although once I cut my knee open and it was spraying things. I put an old sock on it, but it was still a little too messy so I had to have a friend drive me in, it was my clutch knee, and I didn’t want to mess up my truck that bad.
    That's funny because when I did my hand I had my brother take me to the walk in because I didn't want to get blood all over my truck as well. Wrapped it in a towel until he could drive to the clinic.
    "mini-mart magnate"
    I am just here for my amusement

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567