BIG grouper rod on a budget? - Page 3
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Many good suggestions here. Sounds like you are going on the Flying Hub 2. Great boat and crew. The Shakespeare Ugly stick is hard to beat. We like the yellow Tiger Series. For the money, or even twice the money they are a great bet. The Black one is also good. Be sure to get one with all metal hardware. No ceramic inserts in the guides. You will not be disappointed and it will give you a good long service life. Many of the other rods mentioned here are also good. Star rods are very good too. The guys at dogfish sell nice rods. The Hubbards tackle shop sells their Killer Stick rod which is very good and has caught countless thousands of big fish. Have a good trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hexter View Post
    What is so "custom" about a Dogfish Stick. Yes, they are nice and well built rods, but "custom?" Can you choose the blank, type of guides, number of guides, spiral wrap or not, even color of wraps or design, guide spacing, type of grips, length of grips make and model of reel seat, etc? Do you get to actually talk to the builder and tell him what you want and expect from the rod?

Or

does one just walk in the store and say I want a Dogfish 15F? That's like walking into a tackle shop and saying I want a Daiwa SLN70HR-FP

After they moved from Redington to Park Blvd is when I went into the new store. Told them what I wanted..which was 4 offshore rods with standard XB eyes.. not glass. Told them I was grouper, shark, tarpon and rocks...lol... Wanted 2 with a roller tip and gimble butts with out of those..1 red an one blue. The other red an blue has XB eyes on the tip. A week and a half later I went back an picked them up along with 4 Daiwa Sealine 50H to mate with them. Also picked up a 7 ft Star for inshore snookin.. I don't know if they made them there or not but they didn't have them when I was there .. so.. Custom or not??? I got what I wanted ..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123