BIG grouper rod on a budget? - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hey Mutt, what are the models of Dogfish rods you're using? I could use another grouper rod, if it's a good
    set up for tarpon, so much the better. Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have some more research to do now! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by snookwhisperer View Post
    Hey Mutt, what are the models of Dogfish rods you're using? I could use another grouper rod, if it's a good
    set up for tarpon, so much the better. Thanks
    Here ya go...and they are great for trolling the ditch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a red one....Not sure if they read 15F 1HF 16 F...or something totally different..but..Was looking on the website and I didn't even see one stik with the old style wire frame XB eyes.. Still.. For the money and a go to rod for big fish.. Thumbs up for sure
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, good looking rods for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by ~~Mutt~~ View Post
    12 years ago I stopped in Dogfish Store and bought 4 custom Dogfish stix.. Have had to change the reels a few time but the stix...Not one letdown. They still look new.. Use them way out for big gags and in the summer I sit off Indian Rocks to Redington and slam big tarpon.. If they wear out I will go back and buy another to replace.. I know your title sez budget...but.. Buy once..cry only once...and the rest is history
    oh so true. that's why custom rods are the way to go.

What is so "custom" about a Dogfish Stick. Yes, they are nice and well built rods, but "custom?" Can you choose the blank, type of guides, number of guides, spiral wrap or not, even color of wraps or design, guide spacing, type of grips, length of grips make and model of reel seat, etc? Do you get to actually talk to the builder and tell him what you want and expect from the rod?

Or

does one just walk in the store and say I want a Dogfish 15F? That's like walking into a tackle shop and saying I want a Daiwa SLN70HR-FP

Have used Star rods offshore for 40 years now, and they last a long time
    Reckon I’ll keep using em for the rest of my fishing life

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hexter View Post
    What is so "custom" about a Dogfish Stick. Yes, they are nice and well built rods, but "custom?" Can you choose the blank, type of guides, number of guides, spiral wrap or not, even color of wraps or design, guide spacing, type of grips, length of grips make and model of reel seat, etc? Do you get to actually talk to the builder and tell him what you want and expect from the rod?

Or

does one just walk in the store and say I want a Dogfish 15F? That's like walking into a tackle shop and saying I want a Daiwa SLN70HR-FP
    I went to the website and they don't sell "custom" rods online anymore. Unless that part of their website is down? You can get rod and reel combos, but no rods only.

Check out Connolly fishing. They have great rods and can match up anything you wont. Starts around 149

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast