Need tips for overnighting on a boat
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need tips for overnighting on a boat

Finally purchased a boat with a cabin that I want to do some overnight trips on. Having never done this before, I'm a little bit nervous about what I need to do to avoid trouble. About all I know is that I need to anchor up away from any shipping channel and make sure that I have 360 degree lights on. Is there anything else I can do to allow me to sleep soundly? Should I be saving my money for a radar that would sound an alarm when a vessel gets close? Any and all tips are appreciated for a rookie overnighter. Thank you!

A GPS has an anchor alarm. Why do you need a radar when you're anchored? Enjoy your new boat.

I just thought that the radar would warn me of any vessel getting too close. I'm mostly worried about other boats smashing into me.

I world save for radar but not for the reason you ask. Like Alex said an anchor alarm tied to GPS is the ticket. Radar is for navigating in visibility impaired situations and collision avoidance while underway. Sure spotting birds can be accomplished to some degree too. Loud horns, lights and cannon are for collision avoidance when you are anchored.

The best thing you can do for a good night sleep is an Air Conditioned Cabin.lol
    Remember to get Two cannons, I like redundant safety equipment.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew

Yes get a radar and set an alarm if another vessel gets too close. All the loud horns and cannons won't do you any good if you're sleeping. AC is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude727 View Post
    Finally purchased a boat with a cabin that I want to do some overnight trips on. Having never done this before, I'm a little bit nervous about what I need to do to avoid trouble. About all I know is that I need to anchor up away from any shipping channel and make sure that I have 360 degree lights on. Is there anything else I can do to allow me to sleep soundly? Should I be saving my money for a radar that would sound an alarm when a vessel gets close? Any and all tips are appreciated for a rookie overnighter. Thank you!
    What kind of waters are you planning to anchor in? I honestly don't know if anyone actually sleeps soundly on a small boat.

We've done many overnighters in our 24' w/a cuddy. The only nights I slept somewhat soundly we were tied to a dock - and even then in some cases mr gl got up periodically to check the lines, even when using spring lines. The hull slap while at anchor kept me from sleeping. So unless you're in flat calm water...or have a rear cabin, I would avoid anchoring overnight for that reason alone.

With that said - choose your spot carefully. The wake from larger ships, passing boats aren't contained just within the shipping channel.

Good luck and enjoy!

ps - if you haven't already, I would invest in a covered grill that fits in a rod holder. We did most of our cooking on that.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=344&dateline=13073685  84

I'm pretty surprised that nightfly is the only one recommending radar. I would have thought that radar would be the single best piece of equipment you can have for overnighting but I've never had one so I don't know anything about it. Grady-Lady pretty much confirmed what I am expecting will happen to me and that is that no matter what I do I'll end up being so nervous that I won't sleep anyway. I'm sure that for the first night that I sleep on the open water it will be someplace close to shore although that just probably makes it more likely that you could get hit because of more traffic.

I've seen boats anchored right behind Egmont Key on overnights. Seems like a fairly protected place to start.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

When I've been to Egmont the current there has been so strong I was nervous anchoring during daylight hours. Of course, that's when there has been a lot of boats lined up next to each other. That's also on the west side of the island, is it less crazy on the east or bay side?