Looking for rod information - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spineyman View Post
    I personally like 8 # mono as well. What St Croix rods do you prefer? Bottom of the line, middle or top of the line rods?
    Spiney, I used the Premier Series for my tournaments for years with tremendous success and of course they have an excellent warranty.

GLGF with whatever you select.

I think my lightest spinning setup is a 6'6" star stellar lite and a 4000 size shimano stradic (older model) with 12# mono which I use for yellow tails. I also have a Penn conflict 3000 on the same size rod and spooled up with 15# braid which is my go-to inshore combo.

I wasn't impressed with the Calico Jack rods I saw at my local Dick's; no two blanks seemed alike, some were warped, but perhaps I just got there late in the sale...
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...r-Inshore-Rods

Star and Calico Jack were mentioned a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerinkeywest View Post
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...r-Inshore-Rods

Star and Calico Jack were mentioned a lot.
    I have been watching that as well. I just wanted to ask actual people who fish out of kayaks too. I have never had a problem fishing with my current rod but sitting in a yak and fishing is wearing my shoulders out. So I am downsizing in weight and size reel to make it more comfortable to fish long periods of time. I want to see a calico jack in person but can not find one close to me.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Where do you live? I'm sure someone near you has one that you can cast. I have a 7' ML that I really like.
    ''

Quote Originally Posted by Alex from GA View Post
    Where do you live? I'm sure someone near you has one that you can cast. I have a 7' ML that I really like.
    ''
    Ft Walton Beach. I would love to try a few out as well!
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

I use a 7'6"M Blair Wiggins Flats Blue Rod, nice, medium fast action with a lot of sensitivity and touch paired with a 3000 shimano nasci w 200 yards of 10 lb spiderwire and 30 lb fluoro leader. Awesome, long casting and lightt

Spiney... if you are near a West Marine they are having a big clearance sale.. unfortunately it ends today... n but if you are close by one you might want to drop in today and see if they have an inexpensive rig for ya.

I have several Saharas, and while they are good reels for what they cost they just don't hold up that well, many plastic parts in importaht places like the bail, and the line roller bearing especially around salt water.
    I also have had a couple Calico Jack rods and they are OK for the price.. I also have a few of the Calico Jack's big borther the Hurricane Redbone which are great rods for the $$ but the tip breaks off very easily.
    Old ****** who just likes to fish

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny@hi-CHEW View Post
    I use a 7'6"M Blair Wiggins Flats Blue Rod, nice, medium fast action with a lot of sensitivity and touch paired with a 3000 shimano nasci w 200 yards of 10 lb spiderwire and 30 lb fluoro leader. Awesome, long casting and lightt
    Thanks I will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by krash View Post
    Spiney... if you are near a West Marine they are having a big clearance sale.. unfortunately it ends today... n but if you are close by one you might want to drop in today and see if they have an inexpensive rig for ya.

I have several Saharas, and while they are good reels for what they cost they just don't hold up that well, many plastic parts in important places like the bail, and the line roller bearing especially around salt water.
    I also have had a couple Calico Jack rods and they are OK for the price.. I also have a few of the Calico Jack's big brother the Hurricane Redbone which are great rods for the $$ but the tip breaks off very easily.
    Thanks for the heads up on West Marine. I have one 5 minutes away and will go check it out. When you say the tip breaks off of the redbone, are you talking the tip itself breaks or the rod itself breaks at the tip?
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

Diawa has a couple of light weight lt lines available. Price point seems much lower than shimano. Iíll be giving them a look on the future after buying one of the new bg reels. Good luck.
    Here is a link to a guy selling a used star rod, looks good and itís been for sale for a while. Not to far from you, maybe make an offer.

http://www.fcka.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10629
    You should have been here yesterday

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast