Snook Die Off Gulf Coast - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
    I like to think there is a benefit in the long run.
    Being the mouth of the river, I doubt it has much effect at all on the system, but come of the crabs will be eating good...and then the fish will be eating good.

I wonder how the dead fish affect the ecosystem? Could be they are beneficial fertilizer like the dead salmon in rivers? Or just added nutrients the system can't handle. I like to think there is a benefit in the long run.
    Think about it, Its a natural cycle...How could that be bad for the ecosystem? I'm sure many other sea creatures benefit in many ways from the die off.

I fished Suwannee in the days after the worst of the snap. It made the redfish and trout hungry. Saw no dead snook but did see some dying mangrove snapper and a couple of dead catfish. I honestly don't think that much north of Waccasassa there is any sort of quality stock of them anyway. Even if they were hiding in the river mouth at Suwannee the incoming water from the gulf dropped the river down into the 48 degree range, too cold for snook.

I wonder how the dead fish affect the ecosystem? Could be they are beneficial fertilizer like the dead salmon in rivers? Or just added nutrients the system can't handle. I like to think there is a benefit in the long run.
    NOTHING goes to waste. In the water the dead are consumed by crabs, minnows, and small fish, just like they do around a fish cleaning station. Birds help on the cleanup along the banks.

003.jpg
    Pete

nothing much here cleaning them up cept me, picked up 5 wheelbarrow loads off my property today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

need some real good cold weather to get them back to south of Pasco and I won't have to put up with this crap again.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by ANUMBER1 View Post
    need some real good cold weather to get them back to south of Pasco and I won't have to put up with this crap again.
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    .................................................. ............................
    IBEW LU 433

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12