Snook Die Off Gulf Coast
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Snook Die Off Gulf Coast

I have heard of significant Snook losses from the freeze from Wacasassa, Yankeetown, and Ozello. Has anyone heard of other areas where there has been a large kill? How far south did the freeze impact the snook population?

No kill at all down here in south Florida (I fish the 'Glades...). Over on Microskiff they've got a good thread on this topic - here it is...
    https://www.microskiff.com/threads/i...ok-kill.49205/

Hope this helps...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Thank you for the link. Tough deal.

Tampa Bay is 100% fine. No issues. Water temp today was 59.3 in the open water and 61-63 in most canals.

Is the ramp and motel at Chokoloskee still operational?

Seems fine down here...I Was out yesterday and today south Pine Island Sound and mouth of the Caloosahatchee River, average water temp was 59 and 61 degrees respectively and only saw one dead bonnethead on a flat and a large dead sail cat in a deep canal. I did see a ton of big Snook in groups... but couldn't get a single one to eat the DOA and Gulp shrimp I offered up. I may have had a better chance if I would've had a few nice medium to large live shrimp. All in all a good day on the water and had to stop to catch a couple trout to bend the rod.... Just happy to see our Snook down here still kicking!

I got this report from a friend

"Sickening is the word for all the dead Snook and other fish after this cold snap. The water at the mouth of the Withlacoochee dropped to 42 degrees. That is dangerous to fatal for several species when the drop is sudden.

There were some large Trout, at least one Jewfish, Trippletail, a 7-8# Permit that was barely kicking,a big bunch of Horse Ballyhoo, and many hundreds of big Snook. This was in one small area and the scene changed with the tides.

I saw one Snook that might have been a World Record in May. I've caught a bunch of big Snook up to 48" and measured one that was 50.5" about 4 years ago. Hopefully enough Snook in the Barge Canal, power plant discharge, carious springs and in Crystal River survived and will have successful spawns this summer."

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hexter View Post
    I got this report from a friend

"Sickening is the word for all the dead Snook and other fish after this cold snap. The water at the mouth of the Withlacoochee dropped to 42 degrees. That is dangerous to fatal for several species when the drop is sudden.

There were some large Trout, at least one Jewfish, Trippletail, a 7-8# Permit that was barely kicking,a big bunch of Horse Ballyhoo, and many hundreds of big Snook. This was in one small area and the scene changed with the tides.

I saw one Snook that might have been a World Record in May. I've caught a bunch of big Snook up to 48" and measured one that was 50.5" about 4 years ago. Hopefully enough Snook in the Barge Canal, power plant discharge, carious springs and in Crystal River survived and will have successful spawns this summer."
    It's commonly held that their range isn't usually past Tarpon Springs. When they get that far up north it's going to happen.

Yeah, as long as the winter kill was restricted to the northern extreme of their range, they shouldn't have to shut down the fishery. But you never know.

I wonder how the dead fish affect the ecosystem? Could be they are beneficial fertilizer like the dead salmon in rivers? Or just added nutrients the system can't handle. I like to think there is a benefit in the long run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast