Recommendations for anchor winch equipment: rode, rollers, etc...
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

Hybrid View

Recommendations for anchor winch equipment: rode, rollers, etc...

Hello,
    The boat is a 2001 Kevlacat 2400. It weighs about 6000 lbs. Anchor locker up front with about a 2' pulpit to put the new roller on. I've ordered an EZ Anchor Puller Rebel EZ-5.

https://www.ezanchorpuller.com/colle...inch-for-boats

I have a seaclaw stainless and bronze #18 anchor. https://www.seaclawanchors.com/products.html
    I love the anchor. It was expensive, but really happy with it so far. I have it configured as a break away. So it's fastened to the fluke end, and zip tied at the opposite end. I also have shackles on both ends of the anchor so the fluke can't slip off in the event I have to pull it out backwards and the stop that's just under the fluke fails.

One of the more confusing things about this project is the selection of rode. I'm going with 1/2", unless I can find some sort of 3/8" that's suitable. Can anyone recommend a good manufacturer for rode? There's so many options out there and the risk of buying crap rode is pretty high. I'm looking at 600' for 1/2". If I went with 3/8" I could do much more, but I'm concerned 3/8" is too light.

I plan to use 40' of 5/16 chain.

The next question concerns the bow roller. Because I have my anchor configured as a break away, I don't want it to break the zip ties every time I raise the anchor over the bow roller. Which I expect it would in the transition from vertical to horizontal with a single roller setup. So, I'm planning on going with a hinged bow roller. The one at the top of my list is the Anchorlift 90103.

https://www.anchorlift.com/bow-rollers
    https://www.anchorlift.com/hw//hw-up...es_diagram.pdf

It's plenty for the anchor I have, and leaves me the option of easily moving up to a larger anchor if I want to.
    Thoughts on this plan? Other options? Other rollers? I'd like to keep the breakaway configuration if I can.

The winch comes with a deck roller, so I don't have to worry about that.

I'm extremely excited to get this project completed. I've wanted reliable push button anchoring for 20 years. I will finally have it.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated. I have never used a anchor winch. I have been on boats with windlasses, and I don't care for them. The bunching up of rode in them is a pain I will not tolerate. And it's not really an option for my boat anyway. There isn't enough drop depth for a windlass even if I did want one.

Thanks,

Jay G

I'm looking at Seachoice 1/2x600 part 40810, but I can't find much information on it, so I would just be trusting the Seachoice brand. It isn't a blend. 100% nylon. Opinions? I also can't see a difference between their premium and regular. Premium is part 47810. The only difference I see is price and a blue tracer line in the rope. ????

Thanks

Jay G

Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    I'm looking at Seachoice 1/2x600 part 40810, but I can't find much information on it, so I would just be trusting the Seachoice brand. It isn't a blend. 100% nylon. Opinions? I also can't see a difference between their premium and regular. Premium is part 47810. The only difference I see is price and a blue tracer line in the rope. ????

Thanks

Jay G
    I can vouch for the 50-40783 part # for 600' spool here. http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/ANCHORLINE.htm

When I was ordering this was about the best price I found. I don't have a windless but use anchor ball to retrieve and anchor as deep as 28 fathoms. I have good luck with it lasting and also not trying to tangle or wad up on itself in the anchor locker.......and 600' in an anchor locker can turn into a mess if it's a poor handling rode.
    Common sense ain't so common anymore.

Jay, 3/8" should be more than fine, and I would only use all-nylon rode, for its elasticity (stretch). I've always used 3-strand twist, rather than braid, for the same reason, although braid does store better in the anchor locker is space is an issue. Sounds like you've got more than enough chain.
    As for the bow roller, I've always used zip-tie breakaways on all anchors, Delta, Danforth and grapnel, and never had an issue with my standard bow rollers.
    Anything I say...What a wonderful philosophy you have!

Thanks David. That's good news about the bow roller. Over here it's really easy to get hung up on the artificial reefs. Break away setups are a godsend.

My daughter is going to FAU next fall, so I may have more opportunity to stop by your gym to say hello. I stopped by when we did the tour of the school a few months ago.

Jay G

I use 600' of 1/2" 8 Plait w/ 15' of 1/4" chain on my 23 CC. I bought it from Seco South. https://cableloft.com/anchor-rodes.html Not cheap, but good stuff so far.

I agree that 3/8" rode should be fine for you since you won't be handling it with your hands. I went with 1/2" so it's easier to pull up manually, although I use a ball whenever I can. I went with the 8 plait so it lays better in my locker.

Have you considered the weight of all this? You're looking at an easy 200lbs on your bow.

Thanks for the input.

CountryB, That is a great price. It's close to what I found for it. They don't have 3/8 600'. I have 3/8" 600' Seachoice for $119 shipped in my Amazon cart. That was the best price I could find on it anywhere. I'll probably pull the trigger on the order tomorrow.

K-Dawg, 8 Plait is nice, but like you say, I don't need it. I've definitely considered the weight. I've already got half that weight up there from my current anchor set up and my boat is stern heavy so I'm good with some extra weight in the bow.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Jay