Shallow Water Cold Snook Kill
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

Shallow Water Cold Snook Kill

Found about 10 dead snook in a drainage canal today. Mostly slot fish that were trapped by a bar and could not get out to deeper water. Lots of dead tilapia with them.

Hope the others fared better in the bay.

where?

There is an article in the "Fishing Wire" about the freeze and effects on the Snook fisheries. The Snook and Gamefish Foundation encourages you to report fish kills to the FWC. Report the killed fish to FWC’s Fish Kill hotline. You can do this by phone (800-636-0511) or online at http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/...kills-hotline/ Thanks for your help.

http://www.thefishingwire.com/story/...d-1d7212312731
    Support the Snook & Gamefish Foundation
    http://sgf.gamefishcloud.com/

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

Quote Originally Posted by limitless View Post
    There is an article in the "Fishing Wire" about the freeze and effects on the Snook fisheries. The Snook and Gamefish Foundation encourages you to report fish kills to the FWC. Report the killed fish to FWC’s Fish Kill hotline. You can do this by phone (800-636-0511) or online at http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/...kills-hotline/ Thanks for your help.

http://www.thefishingwire.com/story/...d-1d7212312731
    the link is bad...but be that as it may, this is what I posted in another forum section...and we can agree to disagree

good grief, please don't start another snook kill hysteria...a four inch slot, minimal season, and one fish limit aren't enough for ya? If you've lived in Florida for any reasonable length of time you'd know we average a hard freeze every 15 t0 20 years...just go ask any citrus grower. Do you really believe that closing the season following the 2010 kill, not allowing an angler to keep one fish in a four inch slot during 6 months out of the year had anything to do with the rapid recovery of the fishery? Certainly 2010 was a bad one, but not nearly as bad as some I've witnessed in my 60+ years living in Florida. 1983 was far worse and the fishery recovered within a year or so, with NO closures and rampant gill netting, just like it ALWAYS has since, I suspect, the beginning of time! Look, mother nature cleanses itself periodically to put balance back, in this case, the snook populations. When you see reports of anglers taking snook as far north as the St Mary's River you can probably bet a hard freeze is likely. So stop giving the snook guides more ammunition keep the fishery to themselves and their clients. They already have an accommodating fisheries commission that requires little evidence or justification to close a fishery.

Quote Originally Posted by winderbill View Post
    the link is bad...but be that as it may, this is what I posted in another forum section...and we can agree to disagree

good grief, please don't start another snook kill hysteria...a four inch slot, minimal season, and one fish limit aren't enough for ya? If you've lived in Florida for any reasonable length of time you'd know we average a hard freeze every 15 t0 20 years...just go ask any citrus grower. Do you really believe that closing the season following the 2010 kill, not allowing an angler to keep one fish in a four inch slot during 6 months out of the year had anything to do with the rapid recovery of the fishery? Certainly 2010 was a bad one, but not nearly as bad as some I've witnessed in my 60+ years living in Florida. 1983 was far worse and the fishery recovered within a year or so, with NO closures and rampant gill netting, just like it ALWAYS has since, I suspect, the beginning of time! Look, mother nature cleanses itself periodically to put balance back, in this case, the snook populations. When you see reports of anglers taking snook as far north as the St Mary's River you can probably bet a hard freeze is likely. So stop giving the snook guides more ammunition keep the fishery to themselves and their clients. They already have an accommodating fisheries commission that requires little evidence or justification to close a fishery.
    Sharing observations with FWC is going to help inform them on how to best manage the fishery for everyone, guides and weekend warriors alike. We are all fishing for the same fish in the same populations, so I don't understand why you say they're keeping the fishery to themselves. Guides are also bringing in tourists who help fuel Florida's economy and who buy fishing licences that help fund research to better manage fisheries. The slot and harvest limit is backed by science, fueled by data and observations, much of which are provided by anglers like ourselves. Temporarily closing the fishery or further restricting harvest is not the ONLY reason the snook population recovered so well in 2010, but it certainly didn't hurt. 1983 was a long time ago and I'm certain there was far less recreational fishing pressure back then. Perhaps there were a greater number of snook then allowing them to rebound quickly as well. Mother nature weeds out the weak and selects for the more resilient and cold-resistant individuals. This balances the population, yes, but add non-natural factors, like rampant human harvesting, and the population won't be able to recover the way nature intended. I like eating snook as much as the next guy, but I'm happy to put most of them back so I can catch them the rest of my life.

Any lack of angling pressure in ‘83 was geometrically made up for by the presence of rampant gill netting prior to the ban. And, there were no closed seasons, no slot, and a four fish limit. I use to fish Sebastian inlet back then and witnessed hundreds being drug off the pier and catwalks on a nightly basis. Today’s angling pressure is virtually nil by comparison. Like I said, we can agree to disagree, but go ask the red snapper fishermen how cooperating with fishery researchers worked out for them😉
    Last edited by winderbill; 01-12-2018 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Misspelled