american panga
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: american panga

american panga

well its about time to boat shop. anyone who owns or knows someone who owns an american panga boat, please chime in on quality of construction, comfort of ride, etc. thanks for any input.

I have a buddy with a 22’ panga( not sure of the make). It is very tippy( he has a tower) very wet and has very little storage ( compared to a pathfinder) I wouldn’t own one, I don’t care how efficient they are. Good luck
    You should have been here yesterday

I own an 18 panga marine. I don't have enough boating experience to say I can truly push the limits of my panga and give you an expert opinion, but I will give you a layman's opinion. I got caught in the inlet once in super choppy 5 foot swells, and although I ran the boat very slowly (7 knots), I hardly got a drop of water in my boat. The upturned bow makes a huge difference. Conversely, the rumors I heard of people running Panga 18s across to the Bahamas, I would never even dream of that. The boat doesn't have much freeboard and a following sea would worry me.

You will find varying opinions of people who love, hate and everything in between the pangas. I would stick with the 2 big american manufacturers, Panga Marine and Andros and spend a lot of time on setup.

The setup of the boat is a big deal, and I would suggest a panga if you are a "tinkerer". Prop selection, weight distribution, trim tabs, make a huge difference in how the boat rides, draft and performs.

My only real complaint with my boat is the setup, which is nobody's fault other than the person who requested the build. The combination of a relatively heavy motor (Evinrude 75), good size poling platform, and the likely culprit of two 6 gallon removable fuel tanks in the rear, cause me not to get the 6" draft advertised by Panga Marine. Trim tabs have been suggested, but again, more tinkering.

Best of luck. If there is a "best of both worlds" boat, its a Panga.

thanks for the input. the 18 footer is the boat I'm considering.

Best of luck Pete. Let us know what you get!

I also have an 18' Panga Marine. The boat isn't tippy at all, eats the chop head on, have taken it offshore on some sketchy days (never felt unsafe), and floats skinny enough for me to stalk bones and reds (it does hull slap). A beam sea with anything blowing over 10 will get you wet, then again, what skiff won't. SIPS fuel, solid construction, and easy to maintain. I only see myself selling it to upgrade to a 22 Panga Marine one day.

I have always admired the panga hulls. Not sure how these hulls differ from Bahama style pangs. These are from Baja Sur in sea of Cortez.

Pangas are Orca proof!!
    baja sur 2 292.jpg

These things would haul 10 people, gear and such. Some days swell were 6 feet but we always beached in protected coves.
    baja sur 2 310.jpg

Please ride in one in 2-3’ chip before you decide. My pathfinder is much more dry, handles chop way better and has double to triple the amount of storage. I have 2 good fishing buddies with 22’ pangas and wouldn’t own one if it was given to me. But I guess that’s why they make chocolate and vanilla
    You should have been here yesterday

A boat with a Carolina flare is dry as well.

thanks for all the comments, pro and con. I've been told that panga marine in sarasota will offer test rides so i may ride down that way soon and check them out. I've always been amazed by the utility of panga boats and i think the panga design would suit my style of fishing- mostly upper bays to very nearshore on good days.