american panga - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: american panga

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
    I have always admired the panga hulls. Not sure how these hulls differ from Bahama style pangs. These are from Baja Sur in sea of Cortez.

Pangas are Orca proof!!
    Attachment 249658

These things would haul 10 people, gear and such. Some days swell were 6 feet but we always beached in protected coves.
    Attachment 249659
    Bahamas style pangas aren't pangas, but you go on with your bad self.

Quote Originally Posted by petedoggiedog View Post
    thanks for all the comments, pro and con. I've been told that panga marine in sarasota will offer test rides so i may ride down that way soon and check them out. I've always been amazed by the utility of panga boats and i think the panga design would suit my style of fishing- mostly upper bays to very nearshore on good days.
    It would fit your style of fishing, but definitely test ride. Is there a reason you are leaning this way as there are a lot of other good choices too. Where in Florida will you be fishing? Budget?

I have rode in several while fishing in Costa Rica, Honduras and Mexico. They all rode great and were dry in all sea conditions except when running with a quartering sea with high winds. Most boats would have been wet in the same conditions. If I was looking for a bay style boat a Panga would be high on my list. Good luck with and let us know how it goes.

I too have ridden in many pangas, in Baja, Mexico and lately locally out of Homasassa. I've always been impressed with there ride in chop, shallow water going and fuel mileage. It takes a smaller engine to push a panga than a bay boat.

I just don’t understand. Pangas are the worst boat I’ve ever fished in, and there is no close second( I’ve fished in smaller ones in Mexico, no problem on the shallow flats). But the 22’ are narrow, tippy , super wet, can’t handle chop, have no storage, bad layout and don’t get any shallower than a 22’ bay boat. I can’t understand why anyone would own one, that had a better option. When my buddies that own pangas ride with me, they know they made a mistake. Good luck with your decision

Pete, maybe try reaching out to Tarpon20 on here as he has owned both, a Panga and Pathfinder:

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...ga-vs-Bay-Boat

Rey,

Can your panga run in 12" or less? My draft is closer to 8-9", but even with a jack plate, considering the skeg depth and bow rise I can't get near running in a foot. I have heard the trim tabs really help the bow rise and I have considered them.

I think the rear fuel tanks are killing me along with the poling platform, so I probably have 150 extra pounds of weight near the rear of the boat. And I would need a low water pickup.

The better addressed question would be, do you feel a properly setup panga can run in 12" or less.

From a guide

Quote Originally Posted by Tarpon20 View Post
    I had a Panga Marine 22 and loved it. Mine was one of the 1st ones and it did everything I ever wanted to do. I had a 90 2 stroke yamaha and it pushed it in the upper 30's. It was a very simple fishing boat, 48 gallon livewell, big storage compartment under from deck and it had lots of open space. I currently have had a Pathfinder 22 now for almost 4 years and it's a good boat for guiding, other than that the Panga did more in my opinion. It floated just as shallow, the Panga beat the snot out of a chop and I didn't have tabs, never once took water over the bow and we fished it 40 miles out in the gulf and went sail fishing all the time in Miami. The Pathfinder will take water over the bow in a tight chop at 2ft. You can rig a trolling motor, power poles and such just like any other bay boat and it will catch just as many fish at a much nicer price. Rob McDaniels is a great guy at Panga Marine, never had anything break on the boat and looked all perfect after 6 yrs of guiding hard. My Pathfinder port/starboard storage hatches seem to break twice a year, which can't ever get them to warranty. Screws on the console have to be tightened daily and the non skid was like ice after the 1st year and the boat was bought new. The Pathfinder is a perfect guide boat, but if I wasn't guiding id have no problem fishing a Panga again. Some people don't like the looks of a Panga, but a lot of the people bashing them have probably never ridden in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltygatorvet View Post
    I have a buddy with a 22’ panga( not sure of the make). It is very tippy( he has a tower) very wet and has very little storage ( compared to a pathfinder) I wouldn’t own one, I don’t care how efficient they are. Good luck
    We may know the same person!

Though a cool looking hull design, after riding in one I was underwhelmed for the reasons you mentioned.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=344&dateline=13073685  84

Matt,
    Not exactly sure how shallow it will run. I try to run in water 2ft or deeper to avoid tearing up the seagrass in the areas I fish. It does float shallow for an 18' boat.IMG_00171-2.jpg
    Last edited by reyrey; 01-12-2018 at 12:42 PM.