UW-F Updates
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: UW-F Updates

UW-F Updates

Just a reminder the UW-F Winter Board/Member Meeting is next Saturday (Jan. 13) at Marsh Landing Rest. in Fellsmere...All are welcome to attend. This venue is close to TMG and other marshes and hunters come off the marshes from their hunts to attend (and have lunch)...12 NOON. Beyond the hour or so of official Board business, which includes reports on Finances, Actions at the State and Regional levels, plans for the new year, there is a General Meeting where everyone is welcome to participate, especially on discussions regarding the 2018 UW-F PROJECT LIST...This is the meeting where you can make your points about how UW-F can "make duck hunting in Florida better for Florida's duck hunters"....Please come you will be welcomed!

The UW-F Winter Raffle is running. Go to:
    www.uw-f.org
    and click on Fundraising...

Also, while there you can contribute to the UW-F YOUTH HUNTS. These hunts offer a prize for every young hunter and lunch for all...at the marshes. The STA 1W hunt will feed over 100 kids, parents and helpers.

For those who have been "complaining" about the cramped STA Parking Spots, I was able to comment to the STA Managers at yesterday's SFWMD WRAC meeting asking for some relief regarding spots on the East/West Levees. I have been promised a review for next season. We continue to often have over 100 people showing up at a couple of the STAs each morning hoping for Walk In permits....This will be a point of discussion again at the forthcoming STA Hunt Recap Meeting in the Spring.

I met with the Biologist who has a major role in the scheduling and locations of spraying on Lake Okeechobee at the WRAC meeting. Several meetings are forthcoming and then there will be a Special Opportunity to discuss the Okeechobee Aquatic Plant Management at the March SFWMD WRAC RECREATION meeting where all stakeholders are welcome....Other meetings...:FWC Lake O Plant Management, Jan. 11 at 6 pm at SFWMD Service Center, 3800 NW 16th Blvd., Okeechobee...Regular Lake O Interagency Plant Management Meeting, USACE, USACE Operations Office, 525 Ridgelawn Rd., Clewiston at 10 am. These meetings will help set the direction of the WRAC Recreation Meeting in March. UW-F's Official Position Statement on aquatic plant management is in the STICKYS on the UW-F web site forums.

UW-F will be asking the FWC Commissioners to set up a Seminar for the Statewide Aquatic Plant Control program where stakeholders can participate. The lack of good habitat for ducks..and fish...because of the removal of submerged aquatic vegetation in Florida's water bodies is becoming an issue and it needs to be addressed.

We are also expecting a meeting with the MINWR staff on the duck hunting regulations for next season...and the recovery efforts from the hurricane damage..shortly after the duck season.

Please watch the UW-F web site Public Forums for updates.

They should hold a stakeholder meeting this week while all the BASS fishermen and hunters are in town and get some good feedback. Hold it at Marianne's place at 7pm so everyone can attend.

There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

my post was before the news was heard about the missing angler.. hope the guy is found alive

Quote Originally Posted by binellishtr View Post
    my post was before the news was heard about the missing angler.. hope the guy is found alive
    I do too...but this was last night...on the coldest night of the year...in water... all signs are against it.

And it does not matter when they do any of this...it will still be the same people going.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

Sad. East side of the lake is brutal with NW wind. West side can be bad too. Prayers for him and family.

Newton,

Can you add changing the A1 FEB to open 24/7 to hunting and get rid of the permits? The permits have done nothing but effectively eliminate hunter access. There were two groups hunting the feb this am. Two.....

The permits don’t reduce hunters in the sta walk-in lines. 24/7 access to the feb might.

Quote Originally Posted by H20dad View Post
    Newton,

Can you add changing the A1 FEB to open 24/7 to hunting and get rid of the permits? The permits have done nothing but effectively eliminate hunter access. There were two groups hunting the feb this am. Two.....

The permits don’t reduce hunters in the sta walk-in lines. 24/7 access to the feb might.
    It would be different if there was habitat and ducks there, but I agree. Its a giant area to have such limited access.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinman View Post
    It would be different if there was habitat and ducks there, but I agree. Its a giant area to have such limited access.
    Learn to scout.

Quote Originally Posted by H20dad View Post
    Learn to scout.
    Believe me, you don't have to lecture me about "learning to scout". Don't really know the purpose of your reply?

What I was saying is "if" there was better habitat and thus more ducks on the area there would be more hunters there. I don't waste my time on a limited entry hunt where there is low probability of success especially one distant from my home and with such restrictive barriers to entry. I would much rather spend time riding in a comfortable gas powered vessel on open 24/7 waters where I can come and go as I please and possible utilize the knowledge I have acquired on previous trips to further enhance the probability of success on future outings.

Any questions?
    Last edited by Pinman; 01-05-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast