Got my first bow; now what? (turkey/hog/deer in SFL public land) - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Too OP, took me 3 years to kill my first turkey. It was on management area. If your set on taking one with a bow more power to you. In my opinion a blind is a must to hide movement. Old timer once told me a turkey can see you blink at 100 yards and I believe it. Iíve been using my same 20$ box call for last 13 years. Doesnít have to be expensive to work. I learned how to use my mouth call during my morning commute, sounded like someone was choking a duck at first but youíll get the hang of it pretty quick. Good luck to you sir, once you hear a big boss wake up the woods with a shock goobler your hooked.

Took me 4 years to get one of my sons on a first Spring Gobbler. I shot my first Spring bird a couple of years after that. Both public land.

Its a marathon not a sprint.

Patience.

Most rewarding when you do it on your own though (with great advice)

Damn Gigum every post you make is a poor attempt to promote your hog hunting light give it a break hoss. You tell the guy the cheapest way to get a hog is to throw out corn and buy your light....it's just laughable

Where's the angriest face I can make on here....

Cabela's just informed me that, despite indicating available inventory, they actually do not have any more, which means I'll likely be shelling out another $150 for a lower quality bow. So freaking pissed right now.

Don't overlook taking a trip to your local archery store and looking at their used selection. You can get into some good bows for a decent price, and they have plenty of good advice to give as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chongg View Post
    Don't overlook taking a trip to your local archery store and looking at their used selection. You can get into some good bows for a decent price, and they have plenty of good advice to give as well.
    Also check CL for bows as well, price usually negotiable

Well, Cabela's ended up cutting me a break on a replacement bow. Got a Diamond SB-1 on the way. I'm out a bit more cash, but not as much as I was expecting. I checked my local shop and CL, but nothing there; this is probably the best option I have right now.

Diamond makes some good bows, I think you'll be pleased with it. The adjustability is great for new archers. It amazes me how good an "entry level" bow is now.

Thereís no doubt turkeys have great senses but weíve never had much problem getting close to them. We hunt them on the river banks and half the time just walk the bank and donít even call. If you have access to an area like that, I would say try it out. Be on the look out for their tracks and they usually roost up in trees on the river bank.
    Last edited by GigUm; 01-09-2018 at 11:29 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12