Need input from an FWC officer please...
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    34

    Need input from an FWC officer please...

    I'm sure this has been asked, but I didn't see it.

    Federal season for amberjack in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Florida opens for most of the month of January 2018. Florida law states that amberjack can not be taken in state waters until later in 2018.

    If I catch an Amberjack in Federal water off of the Florida coast, can I legally return to the dock with my Amberjack, assuming that I did not stop and fish anywhere in state waters on the ride back to the dock?

    I expect this is printed in a law book some place, but I haven't been able to find it. I want to educate myself and stay legal.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    545
    I'm not FWC - the theory is that you leave port and head to federal waters - without stopping in state waters and return without stopping in state waters and you are fine. You've got your GPS track if it comes down to that. I doubt you will have any issues as AJs are rarely if ever caught in state waters.

    Kudos for wanting to do the right thing.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    441
    "AJs are rarely if ever caught in state waters"

    I do not know where you are fishing- they are a complete PIA in state waters in upper gulf (northwest) - they are everywhere in herds - only second to the feral pig golith groupers- endangered yeah right-

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle-Hook View Post
    "AJs are rarely if ever caught in state waters"

    I do not know where you are fishing- they are a complete PIA in state waters in upper gulf (northwest) - they are everywhere in herds - only second to the feral pig golith groupers- endangered yeah right-
    Sorry - I've not fished up there, just west Coast, East Coast, and the Keys - Maybe some areas around miami may also have them in state waters - most other places it is a 15+ mile run to catch 'em. I stand corrected. They are my favorite fish to catch & eat - east coats is a 30 mile run and most are in the 30-40# bracket, some worms but not too bad...

  5. #5
    Member Eyesonu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    St. Pete
    Posts
    55
    Rich m is correct. It's called "direct transit". If you catch fish in federal water you can legally possess them in state water as long as you are in direct transit back to the dock.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    34
    Do you know where I can find this in writing? I've been searching the FWC site, but I haven't found anything. I did see something about it under commercial regs in a Google search.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    441
    Need input from an FWC officer please...

    Ok I will bite- what is the punch line? or was that the punch line?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle-Hook View Post
    Need input from an FWC officer please...

    Ok I will bite- what is the punch line? or was that the punch line?
    FWC officers don't have time to check forums; they all need second jobs to make ends meet. The state pays them peanuts compared to any other LEO out there.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    25
    The more important question is this - why do you want to bring a worm hotel back to the dock!! The few AJs I've bothered to clean were always riddled with worms. I once caught about 40 big ones in one morning and when I got to the fish house they wanted to pay me 30 cents/lb. I never tried for them again. I will not be sad if I never catch another one.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Largo ,Fl
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by xenia View Post
    The more important question is this - why do you want to bring a worm hotel back to the dock!! The few AJs I've bothered to clean were always riddled with worms. I once caught about 40 big ones in one morning and when I got to the fish house they wanted to pay me 30 cents/lb. I never tried for them again. I will not be sad if I never catch another one.
    Guess you don`t eat many red grouper either................

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •