do You need an electric reel for kite fishing
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

do You need an electric reel for kite fishing

So Iím looking to start kite fishing, but my boat doesnít have outlets for electric reels. Is it worth it to get them wired up or can I be just a effective using a manual reel?

I think all of us started kite fishing with an old Penn 6/0, or even before that, a Bob Lewis Kite rod & Reel which was nothing more than a big wooden spool with a crank handle and a notch cut in the rim, attached to an anodized piece of pipe with a funky guide on the end

but it sure is NICE to have electric when it is howling
    u could simply use alligator clips to start with

Needed no,wanted when fishing in a blow or hot bite yes

Most people would have issue with the cost of the electric real, however you seem to be mainly concerned with the cost of adding electric sockets in determining if electric reels are "worth it." I don't get that, but if wiring is your only concern..then yes electric reels are worth it.

I find them mandatory, but you can certainly kitefish with a non-electric reel. I don't see why you would if you're only concern is wiring an outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Most people would have issue with the cost of the electric real, however you seem to be mainly concerned with the cost of adding electric sockets in determining if electric reels are "worth it." I don't get that, but if wiring is your only concern..then yes electric reels are worth it.

I find them mandatory, but you can certainly kitefish with a non-electric reel. I don't see why you would if you're only concern is wiring an outlet.
    My concern if with the cost of the reel and the hassle of the wiring. However it seem the general consensus if that I should go for it.

If the wiring is the problem for you, consider what people on overnight deep drop charters do, bring a separate deep cycle battery & have big alligator clips or ring terminals on your kite reel, rather than a plug.

Now, back to the more basic question: Do you need an electric reel.

It sure is nice to have. It also gives you the possibility of maybe getting in some deep drop fishing as well. If you are going to tournament kite fish, then you need at least 2 electric reels. If you are going to fish very lite main lines (20#), & you expect to need to chase fish on short notice, then you really should have electric reels. If you are going to fly a big kite, then the electric reel is pretty handy. If you just do some occasional lazy kite fishing & you only hang one or maybe 2 baits from the kite, & you have an extra person on the boat to reel in the kite line when needed, then the electric reel may not be as important.

A large percentage of my kite fishing gets done with my "emergency kite". This is a small roll up kite with a hand reel that lives in my tackle bag. I always have it with me, even on days when I wasn't planning to kite fish. On days when I happen to catch some small fish & the winds are good, I'll throw that little kite up with just one release clip & occasionally catch some pretty impressive stuff. That kite line is just on a small hand spool. I don't use a kite rod with it. I just cleat off the line once it is out. This is not a convenient way to kite fish, but it does represent what can be done with a minimum amount of gear.

I do have a kite rod. It has an old 6/0 on it. If I am planning to kite fish, I bring it along with a couple of better kites & a 3-clip line. I don't fish tournaments, my reels are big & my main line is usually 40#. I can afford to stay put & fight the fish from a dead boat. My boat has a 50 amp outlet for a trolling motor which could easily be used to power an electric reel, but I don't feel the need to get one at this time. Your needs may vary.

I've even been known to kite fish from a kayak with just a hand reel on the kite.
    Last edited by JIMinPB; 01-07-2018 at 08:20 AM.

It's not hard at all to wire your boat with Hubbell outlet , follow these instructions and you will have a trouble free setup https://www.lindgren-pitman.com/cont...g-instructions

You don't "need" one but it makes it nice when it's really windy or you need to pickup and run over and over to locate the fish. If you don't have one you might find yourself staying in one are longer than you should/would if you had an electric reel.

Personally I would get a Kite setup using a Penn Senator type reel, can be something you have laying around. Rig it up and use it, if you use it lots of see an issue with it then go electric. I find that I bring my kite fishing stuff more than I use my kite, but it depends on who is on the boat and how the day is going. Yes it is great getting 2-3 more baits in the water, but they require a constant babysitter. If I don't have 2-3 people on the boat that understand the constant attention a kite requires it stays down.
    The other issue I have seen with kite fishing, is it is like sailing and an oxymoron. When the wind is howling and you can do it easily, you don't want to be out there. If you fish from an 18' boat you probably don't need to waste the money on it. It is cool, but requires constant attention and often can't do it all day, because the wind changes at some point and you either need to add a balloon or change kites.