December quail hunting
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

December quail hunting

Got out a few times with the dog over the last few weeks to do a little hunting, fishing, and camping. Beach fishing was slow, camping was a blast, and finding the amount of birds we did was awesome! We had points on multiple coveys of 10+ birds each outing but my shooting was less than stellar. Overall a great time and happy to see some quality quail hunting on public land can be found!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking pup, wire haired something?? What region in Florida are you hunting? I have been several times in the north central area (WMAs) and shot at a few birds, and ate even fewer. My shooting is sub-optimal, must be the Audubon shells!!!

Looking to do much more until the season closes in March. Ocala NF, Citrus are on my list!

We target quail, but are happy with the versatile gun dogs affinity for rabbit (which he points). Also snipe, woodcock and woodducks.

Bartram listening for incoming woodducks.
    20140119_095514_resized.jpg

Nice looking dog as well! I typically will stay in central and n central areas targeting sandhill and flat woods with a frequent fire interval. The versatile dogs are great.....cash is a wire haired pointing griffin and has done well on ducks, geese, pheasants, quail, rabbit, and squirrel so far. He is ready to hunt whatever the day holds!

Nice!
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing. I still remember quail hunting over 60 years ago on the grounds that are not the University of South Florida. Miles of open land covered with black jack oaks. The rabbit & quail hunting was excellent. Probably not a good idea to try that now.

Nice dogs.

I use an English Pointer and then a Lab as flush/retrieve dog.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nice! Congrats on the birds.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy

Had a pretty interesting week. One quail and one snipe yesterday and this beast end of last week. I don't encourage Bartram to go after pigs (that's why I bought a shock collar), but we ended up among about 8 of them in chest high grass and this one was not budging. Covered in hog lice, from head to foot. COVERED..but it cleaned up nicely.

sow
    bartram pig 2018.jpg
    curing in cold weather, hung 4 days in sub 45 degree weather.
    bartrams pig 2018 hangin.jpg
    curled up after hunt
    bartram curled 2018.jpg

Nice! Checked out some new turf this weekend and struck out on the birds. Bird shot on the pig?

Quote Originally Posted by jball View Post
    Nice! Checked out some new turf this weekend and struck out on the birds. Bird shot on the pig?
    No, I carry buckshot for 20 ga double, just in case. Too many areas are overrun with pigs.

Thinking about camping at Citrus in a couple weeks, beautiful woods, but only moderate success in the past. Also gonna try Goethe, they have suitable burnt longleaf pine sandhills and a great campground.