Contender fishbox/macerate set up
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

Contender fishbox/macerate set up

I would like to install a macerator for both fisboxes in the bilge. Can someone send me an image of the proper set up?
    Thanks in advance!

I don't have any pics but on my last 31T I had this done after I bought the boat. It's pretty simple. I had my dealer do it and they just called Contender to get the schematics and parts. I'm sure they would send you the diagram as well.

Two extra drain holes were drilled in to the boxes a bit further back then the ones that drain to the bilge. The macerator was mounted in the very rear of the bilge. The most complicated part was to get the outlet up to below the bilge outlets (we had two bilge pumps). The service shop had to put an access plate into the transom side to get another outlet mounted.

Hope that helps.
    Fish This!
    Stuart, FL and Manistee, MI

That was very helpful. Thanks so much!

Not familiar with Contenders and their bilge set up. My BlueWater has hoses that go from the boxes into the bilge, I was able to put a T in with a valve on it, then the other end of the T goes up to a Macerator pump. If it will be on the trailer I leave the valve open and it drains into the bilge. If it will be staying on the water I close the valve and pump it out. Don't know if this is an option in your application, but was pretty simple in mine.

OH and that 6kw radar works like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinwwings2 View Post
    Not familiar with Contenders and their bilge set up. My BlueWater has hoses that go from the boxes into the bilge, I was able to put a T in with a valve on it, then the other end of the T goes up to a Macerator pump. If it will be on the trailer I leave the valve open and it drains into the bilge. If it will be staying on the water I close the valve and pump it out. Don't know if this is an option in your application, but was pretty simple in mine.

Can you post a picture of your set up? Where did you mount your macerator?
    Glad to hear that you are enjoying your radar :-)

IMG_0138.jpg

In this picture the main line down the middle next to my transducer is the hose coming from the front boxes. Next to the transducer is a "T" then a short piece of hose and a valve, which is open in the picture, so it drains into the bilge. Then to the left you can see where it connects to 2 hoses from either side, right on the transom, those are the two rear fish boxes.

IMG_0140.jpg

Here you can see a T in that line that goes up to the Macerator which is bolted to the transom.

A couple of problems with this system is if you use the forward fish boxes they will flood the rear fish boxes. There is a valve in that line, but as soon as you open it you better have the back boxes ready to get bloody water. The other option is put drain plugs in the rear boxes so they can't flood. I just don't like putting drain plugs in boxes if there is not a major reason to, like hold ice in. With all the boxes connected together like this you just have to plan ahead.
    Since my boat lives on a trailer most of the time the valve is open and they drain into the bilge, but on Island trips I can pump them out so my bilge does not end up full of stinky fish blood.
    I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Kevinwwings2; 01-15-2018 at 04:14 PM.

I also plumbed my Cobia fish boxes into a T. But I didnt want a macerator so I plumbed it out the transom through a ball valve and gravity does all the work with no maintenance.

IMG_0138.jpg

In this picture the main line down the middle next to my transducer is the hose coming from the front boxes. Next to the transducer is a "T" then a short piece of hose and a valve, which is open in the picture, so it drains into the bilge. Then to the left you can see where it connects to 2 hoses from either side, right on the transom, those are the two rear fish boxes.

IMG_0140.jpg

Here you can see a T in that line that goes up to the Macerator which is bolted to the transom.

A couple of problems with this system is if you use the forward fish boxes they will flood the rear fish boxes. There is a valve in that line, but as soon as you open it you better have the back boxes ready to get bloody water. The other option is put drain plugs in the rear boxes so they can't flood. I just don't like putting drain plugs in boxes if there is not a major reason to, like hold ice in. With all the boxes connected together like this you just have to plan ahead.
    Since my boat lives on a trailer most of the time the valve is open and they drain into the bilge, but on Island trips I can pump them out so my bilge does not end up full of stinky fish blood.
    I hope this helps.
    Was very helpful, thanks Kevin!