Shark Dragging vs Bait Fishing - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11
    Senior Member ANUMBER1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ozello Fl.
    Posts
    8,101
    as a professional ocean raper I cringed when I saw that video..

    Them idiots didn't break any laws but.. but what a bunch of tools that need a beatdown till they piss blood, seriously.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    823
    1) a simple understanding of basic biology would help answer your question. baitfish breed in higher numbers and grow to maturity far faster then a shark. I mean is squishing a spider the same thing as shooting a lion? Of course not.

    as a result of grossly different reproductive tendencies certain animals need higher levels of protection than others. nobody worries about killing baitfish because they aren't in limited supply. I can go out for an hour and catch lord knows how many thousands of baitfish. good luck catching thousands of sharks in an hour.

    2) intent/purpose. the point of dragging a shark (in said video) was for fun... I guess. Honestly I don't know what their goal was. dragging a piece of bait has the purpose of catching a larger fish, more than likely for table fare. The rationale for one is far more reasonable than the other.

    Really, it isn't that hard to see the difference between the two, it really isn't. One has a purpose and has a minimal impact to the ecosystem... at this point I am going to assume you realize which is which.
    Last edited by kellercl; 01-01-2018 at 11:28 AM.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by ANUMBER1 View Post
    Them idiots didn't break any laws but..
    Based on what I have read that isn't exactly true. Apparently during the investigation there was a longer video where the fellows essentially harpooned another shark... which constitutes an illegal take... which is included in the charges being brought against them. I am not sure why people tend to gloss over this particular aspect. It seems like the authorities know they have those morons dead to rights on the illegal take and threw a few others charges to see if they will stick. I don't believe that is an uncommon practice. If nothing else it could be great leverage for a guilty plead to some lesser charges, saving court time (aka tax payer money).

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,632
    This situation is pretty easy to understand with the word...."intent".........

    Killing a baitfish during a live bait trip has a much different intent that laughing and video of a bunch of tools torturing an animal to look like they were cool guys or something.

    Its a much safer mind that does the first thing vs the sicko doing the other...

  5. #15
    Senior Member ANUMBER1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ozello Fl.
    Posts
    8,101
    Quote Originally Posted by kellercl View Post
    Based on what I have read that isn't exactly true. Apparently during the investigation there was a longer video where the fellows essentially harpooned another shark... which constitutes an illegal take... which is included in the charges being brought against them. I am not sure why people tend to gloss over this particular aspect. It seems like the authorities know they have those morons dead to rights on the illegal take and threw a few others charges to see if they will stick. I don't believe that is an uncommon practice. If nothing else it could be great leverage for a guilty plead to some lesser charges, saving court time (aka tax payer money).
    didn't gloss over anything, the act of dragging THAT shark (unless a no take species) wasn't illegal.
    Stupid, immature, psychotic, cruel, etc...
    But not illegal.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by ANUMBER1 View Post
    didn't gloss over anything, the act of dragging THAT shark (unless a no take species) wasn't illegal.
    Stupid, immature, psychotic, cruel, etc...
    But not illegal.
    Again, dragging the shark isn't the only charge.... your original claim was they didn't break "any" laws... That isn't true. They illegal speared a shark.

  7. #17
    Senior Member ANUMBER1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ozello Fl.
    Posts
    8,101
    Quote Originally Posted by kellercl View Post
    Again, dragging the shark isn't the only charge.... your original claim was they didn't break "any" laws... That isn't true. They illegal speared a shark.
    Please try to comprehend, I was only referring to the dragging...
    If you can't get that you gonna have a hard life.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by ANUMBER1 View Post
    Please try to comprehend, I was only referring to the dragging...
    If you can't get that you gonna have a hard life.
    I comprehend just fine, thanks. That isn't what you typed in your original post. It is fine if you want to migrate those goal posts. But don't blame my comprehension for reading your post exactly as it was written. Only one of us typed your post, here is a hint.. it wasn't me.

  9. #19
    Senior Member ANUMBER1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ozello Fl.
    Posts
    8,101
    Quote Originally Posted by kellercl View Post
    I comprehend just fine, thanks. That isn't what you typed in your original post. It is fine if you want to migrate those goal posts. But don't blame my comprehension for reading your post exactly as it was written. Only one of us typed your post, here is a hint.. it wasn't me.
    post #15 SHOULD have cleared it up for you, but.. lol


    Ambiguous much?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sea Plane City
    Posts
    1,724
    Quote Originally Posted by ANUMBER1 View Post
    post #15 SHOULD have cleared it up for you, but.. lol


    Ambiguous much?
    He's going to have a hard life Art. Actually, he's just trying to look like he's a big deal. Like most of the small number of folks left on here. He'd probably one of the first to pile on someone keeping a sailfish, while proudly posting a pic of himself with a 49 3/4" LJTF sword pup.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •