Shark Dragging vs Bait Fishing
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shark Dragging vs Bait Fishing

First off, I'm not trying to criticize anybody's choice or method of fishing. Just curious what other people think.

I noticed an article on the main page about the individuals who drug the shark behind their boat being charged with a fealony. How is that different than pinning live bait to the bottom until it dies? It seems like there could be separate legal and moral discussions to the question.

I'm certainly not proud to dump dead bait back after it dies in the livewell. I've also wondered how much bait I'm willing to kill for fish I'm catching as sport.

Other times, I just figure that I'm taking a more active roll in the food chain and the dead bait is just crab food.

Is there a size cutoff where we can no longer kill and dismember an unregulated species for our enjoyment? If they had cut up the shark and used it as cut bait, would that still be a crime?

This ought to be good..................

Quote Originally Posted by drgibby View Post
    This ought to be good..................
    ...if anybody is reading this anymore.

--don't feed the troll
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Just don't drag your bait behind your boat at high speeds before you bottom fish and you will be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Ramen View Post
    First off, I'm not trying to criticize anybody's choice or method of fishing. Just curious what other people think.

I noticed an article on the main page about the individuals who drug the shark behind their boat being charged with a fealony. How is that different than pinning live bait to the bottom until it dies? It seems like there could be separate legal and moral discussions to the question.

I'm certainly not proud to dump dead bait back after it dies in the livewell. I've also wondered how much bait I'm willing to kill for fish I'm catching as sport.

Other times, I just figure that I'm taking a more active roll in the food chain and the dead bait is just crab food.

Is there a size cutoff where we can no longer kill and dismember an unregulated species for our enjoyment? If they had cut up the shark and used it as cut bait, would that still be a crime?
    We here at Florida Sportsman forums wish to thank you for your impressive 12 contributions over the last 34 months, but we also understand if you never post here again.. Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Ramen View Post
    We think you are a .............but since you are making this thread about philosophical questions.........I'll offer up one.

Why do the "in your face"....... "shock value"......."look at me I don't care what you or anybody else think"..........types who do this sort of thing to antagonize and annoy others just for "attention".............always snivel like little snot nose brats when they finally get the "attention" they are seeking? Now they are famous.........wasn't that their desire?
    Common sense ain't so common anymore.

Correct, I post very infrequently in this forum.

I don't intend to criticize anybody. If you felt antagonized, I apologize.

I fish bait about half of my trips. I simply thought it was odd that I found the shark video difficult to watch but have no problem chunking a live lady fish for bait.

I am still curious what people think. If nothing else I can double my post count denying that I am a troll.

I was not referring to you as being an antagonizer......but rather the shark draggers.

Perhaps you are not aware of their long history of posting all kinds of stuff on the internet most people would never think of doing.

What would be "odd" is if you went on a fishing trip for 8 hours and only filmed the 3 minutes you were chopping up the live lady fish for bait. And laughed and giggled about how they squirm or the gills still move with the head off etc. And then posted it online to see how many "views" you could get.

You do see how that is "philosophically wrong" don't you?
    Common sense ain't so common anymore.

I'm aware of the history but wasn't thinking about it in this context.

That's a good point about finding joy in the act or seeking publicity from it. I've yet to publish a video of myself cutting bait...

I have no issue using bait to catch a fish to eat. For me, using bait for fish I'm catching as sport is less appealing than it was a year ago.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast