Dropping antlers already? - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A few years back I killed an 8 pt between Christmas and New Years in Nassau County. When I grabbed his rack to drag him out the antler came off in my hand.
    I assume he was very close to shedding off.....

Quote Originally Posted by bswiv View Post
    If you are close to the coast in St. Johns what you will see is a bump starting around the 10th of January. Same thing happens on the GA. Coastal islands ( Cumberland, Ossabaw, etc....... ). Kind of matches up with when the rut happens in parts of west Florida and Alabama.

Hunted Twelve Mile Swamp for a long time and there this was true.

Beyond that late in the season take advantage of the weather and focus on fronts more. Just as with fish so too with deer.

The last couple of hours before dark the day after a howling front has come through, just as the NW wind finally starts to drop......really a time to be there.
    This
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Ran cameras this morning. Three with antlers showed up between 12\19 and yesterday. Hope to hunt next week. Maybe the cold will intensify daytime movement. Most buck pictures at full dark.

Quote Originally Posted by joekat46 View Post
    Ran cameras this morning. Three with antlers showed up between 12\19 and yesterday. Hope to hunt next week. Maybe the cold will intensify daytime movement. Most buck pictures at full dark.
    Look at the front that is on the way now. Not as much wind as could be hoped for but you got the change. If Weather Underground is close on the forecast I'd want to be in the woods Wednesday afternoon when the clouds clear and the wind goes to nothing right before dark.

Had three bucks on camera in front of my Pops stand. An 8pt, 6pt and a spike. I had a little forkhorn at 6 yards yesterday morning. This is on a wide open romp and stomp WMA. I have taken bucks in mid January with no antler drop issues. This is in zone B.

have a nice 8 and a spike on cam just before first light last week. Seem to be getting closer to daylight... going to pull cards today and try and get out midweek as Ben says. Btw, I love having weather underground send me the day's forecast every morning. Highly recommend.

Have 2 bucks sparring on cam Sat night (midnight) in one of my spots. Had cam set to video, pretty neat.

Hunted plus ran cameras on 1/2 and yesterday. Big and little bucks still had antlers. Bump up a different post shortly and add pics. Still seem to have turned pretty much nocturnal if carrying antlers. Doe show up anytime. Had two doe within 20 yards for 30 minutes Tues afternoon.

Same here. All bucks still nocturnal. Old one horn shows up about an hour or two after dark.
    He’s got 4 points on one side and is totally slick on the other. Hoping for a bump this weekend.

Took this one this morning in the fog at 7:30am. He is not one of the two big boys we had been seeing on cameras but he is/was a nice heavy mature deer and I'm tickled to have gotten him. I did the skinning and quartering and he had very little fat. His antlers were firm and solid on his head with no sign of being ready to drop anytime soon.2018Buck.jpg
    BTW - this buck showed often on the cameras since Christmas. At night he is always moving left to right toward a pasture. This morning he was was moving back to a section of heavy cover. Didn't quite make it.. Fun stuff.
    Last edited by joekat46; 01-11-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast