Dropping antlers already?
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dropping antlers already?

Have a buck on cam with only one antler two nights ago.. Is it normal for the bucks to start dropping this early? Scrape went quiet two weeks ago. Seeing does, but still no bucks all season. Is there still a chance?
    Thx. Struggling as a new hunter in St Johns Cty.

Saw this last year about the same time frame on some smaller bucks. A large buck we were watching on camera still had them in Feb. This is a tough state to figure out on this and the peak of the rut. Good luck.

Thanks joe, it has been a steep learning curve for sure.
    Thinking I’m going to start slipping and try to find their core areas. Haven’t had any encounters from the stands and not much to lose in the last few weeks. Appreciate the help.

In Glades county small bucks are dropping already.

So last year I decided to stay home the last weekend first week of Jan. On that weekend I had a huge 8 and an even bigger 9 on camera.This year I will hunt til the end.
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972

On our lease in St Augustine, we have seen mature buck daylight activity pick up the week after Christmas over the last several years. Last year I had multiple different mature bucks on camera in the daylight during that week and shot 2. Almost all movement since October was at night til then. I used to pretty much quit hunting before then, but now know better. Keep at it.

Senior Member Turner River Terror's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder43 View Post
    Thanks joe, it has been a steep learning curve for sure.
    Thinking I’m going to start slipping and try to find their core areas. Haven’t had any encounters from the stands and not much to lose in the last few weeks. Appreciate the help.
    Best thing you can do at the tail end of a Season.
    Leave the stand and take a small chair , slip and sit..repeat..
    Killin and Grillin

Thanks y'all. That's encouraging. Hoping these nocturnal bucks will change their patterns soon. Have been watching a couple mature bucks all season on cam, but at night.
    Looks like I'll be trying the slip and sit method...and hopefully seal the deal on my first buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder43 View Post
    Have a buck on cam with only one antler two nights ago.. Is it normal for the bucks to start dropping this early? Scrape went quiet two weeks ago. Seeing does, but still no bucks all season. Is there still a chance?
    Thx. Struggling as a new hunter in St Johns Cty.
    If you are close to the coast in St. Johns what you will see is a bump starting around the 10th of January. Same thing happens on the GA. Coastal islands ( Cumberland, Ossabaw, etc....... ). Kind of matches up with when the rut happens in parts of west Florida and Alabama.

Hunted Twelve Mile Swamp for a long time and there this was true.

Beyond that late in the season take advantage of the weather and focus on fronts more. Just as with fish so too with deer.

The last couple of hours before dark the day after a howling front has come through, just as the NW wind finally starts to drop......really a time to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by bswiv View Post
    If you are close to the coast in St. Johns what you will see is a bump starting around the 10th of January. Same thing happens on the GA. Coastal islands ( Cumberland, Ossabaw, etc....... ). Kind of matches up with when the rut happens in parts of west Florida and Alabama.

Hunted Twelve Mile Swamp for a long time and there this was true.

Beyond that late in the season take advantage of the weather and focus on fronts more. Just as with fish so too with deer.

The last couple of hours before dark the day after a howling front has come through, just as the NW wind finally starts to drop......really a time to be there.
    I’m actually in St. Aug., so this is very helpful intel! Thx!

Hunt off International golf parkway. My buddy shot his largest off this property late in season one year. A nice 9 pt ran into a tree after shot and both antlers popped off. Then last year trying to fill doe tags at end of season shot two deer w/ no antlers. Both were bucks. That sucked! So far been a great year for us, killed several large bucks over 3.5 years old with one over 6 years old.
    Last edited by osprey11; 12-25-2017 at 11:18 PM. Reason: .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast