Arrests made in shark dragging case - Page 3
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarponator View Post
    Good to see these kids being prosecuted. I hope they throw the book at them.
    I agree, but I suggest we not refer to them as kids. That implies naivety.

Quote Originally Posted by area52 View Post
    You are wrong in your analysis. This is unprecedented and the PETAs of the world will start to make comparisons like that. Inch by inch.
    PETA doesn't have the ability to prosecute.

Totally agree with you. What if in the future someone videos a bad release and the fish clearly dies? Is this animal cruelty? This is a bad precedent to set for the sport of fishing.
    Did you watch the video? That wasn't at all the same as a release where the fish doesn't make it. If you don't know the difference, that's on you. You are comparing apples to oranges.
    You should have been here yesterday

You are wrong in your analysis. This is unprecedented and the PETAs of the world will start to make comparisons like that. Inch by inch.
    PETA can do what they like, but they don't make laws, nor enforce laws, nor prosecute laws. And as far as comparing what these guys did to a release that goes bad....come on, you can't be that short of brain cells.

There’s two aspects of this... whether they should be charged on a moral level and whether it can be proven they actually broke the law and proven properly, not based on knee jerk emotion independent of the actual dry facts and the law. The second concerns me more than the first.

For example, the guys present on the boat can’t be guilty under the law just because they were present and approved of the conduct. There ought to be evidence they actually willingly participated. Driving the boat or helping tie the shark could be evidence of willing participation. Looking and laughing is not. I hope no one is being prosecuted because they did the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Bullfrog View Post
    There’s two aspects of this... whether they should be charged on a moral level and whether it can be proven they actually broke the law and proven properly, not based on knee jerk emotion independent of the actual dry facts and the law. The second concerns me more than the first.

For example, the guys present on the boat can’t be guilty under the law just because they were present and approved of the conduct. There ought to be evidence they actually willingly participated. Driving the boat or helping tie the shark could be evidence of willing participation. Looking and laughing is not. I hope no one is being prosecuted because they did the latter.
    I wouldn't have a problem if they were prosecuted for the latter
    You should have been here yesterday

I can assure you that no one in this case is being prosecuted that was not a willing participant. Warrants were obtained and as such there was a three step process involved to ensure P.C. exists which included investigators writing out a warrant request which was then approved the by the State Attorney which was then approved by a Judge.

If you are present when a crime is being committed aren't you an accessory if you did nothing to prevent it or did not report it later??

Quote Originally Posted by Westwall01 View Post
    Your attempt at a comparison is like comparing apples and oranges
    Thank you, well said (throughout this thread). I was legitimately baffled at the crazy comparison. Tying up a shark, dragging it at full speed while laughing being equated to an accidental bad release... certain things simply make me shake my head.

For example, the guys present on the boat can’t be guilty under the law just because they were present and approved of the conduct.
    Well that certainly isn't true. If a ride along with a friend and sit in the car while he robs a bank... yeah man, I'm getting charged. It is called being an accessory.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast