Arrests made in shark dragging case - Page 11
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
    Quote Originally Posted by Westwall01 View Post
    This can also be looked at from the opposite view....These guys do this and there's no investigation or charges filed so then PETA then is left to think that fishermen and L.E. accept this type of abuse, thus leaving PETA people to think all fishermen do this or at least accept it. You think PETA would act then?
    I have no problem with an investigation. But the charges under the existing animal cruelty law are bogus. There were some legitimate violations (the spearing) that they could have been charged under.

But what's wrong with the prosecutors admitting there is not really a good statute for charging the act of dragging as a crime and then suggesting a new statute that would cover future events that were similar? It would not be hard to write a good law preventing abuse of wild animals after they had been captured and writing in exceptions for "normal and legal hunting and fishing practices." This would be a rock solid defense against the erosion of rights, because a defense against hooking up live bait would be "it's been done that way for decades."
    “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah

Quote Originally Posted by kellercl View Post
    Then I am confused by your earlier comment:

"This case is really setting dangerous precedents for PETA for judicial activism against hunting and fishing."

Because it sure sounds like you said this case will give PETA the ability for judicial activism....
    I probably should have written PETA-types to indicate the animal rights movement as a whole rather than one specific group.
    “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah

Quote Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
    I have no problem with an investigation. But the charges under the existing animal cruelty law are bogus. There were some legitimate violations (the spearing) that they could have been charged under.

But what's wrong with the prosecutors admitting there is not really a good statute for charging the act of dragging as a crime and then suggesting a new statute that would cover future events that were similar? It would not be hard to write a good law preventing abuse of wild animals after they had been captured and writing in exceptions for "normal and legal hunting and fishing practices." This would be a rock solid defense against the erosion of rights, because a defense against hooking up live bait would be "it's been done that way for decades."
    I take issue what that, at least potentially. None of us have all the evidence, so none us know if the charges are appropriate. Remember there is a fourth guy (on the boat) who is testifying against the three. There could be text messages or social media verbiage where these guys admit to torturing the shark for fun. Maybe not. Nobody knows. I'm not saying the Law is right, but in the same breath I take issue with people assuming they are in the wrong. Oh and they are being charged for the spearing via "illegal take."

I generally take issue with the assumption the law is wrong, especially when nobody knows the full story. It reminds me of all these cop shootings, where the public assumes the cop is guilty... to only find out later the guy had a gun and was a threat. Charlotte was perhaps the best example of assuming the law was wrong... to later find out, nope, they did a fantastic job.

I am rambling at this point, but perhaps we shouldn't assume the charges are "bogus".. perhaps the fourth guy will testify the shark was alive? Maybe not, nobody knows. We should let this play out before assuming the law is acting inappropriate. We should also let this play out before assuming these guys deserve to be convicted.
    Last edited by kellercl; 01-13-2018 at 11:18 AM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011