Arrests made in shark dragging case
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

After a four-month long investigation, three individuals have been arrested in connection to the video of a shark being dragged behind a boat at high speed. We worked with the Hillsborough County State Attorney’s Office to identify a number of criminal violations, including felony and misdemeanor charges. Full story: http://bit.ly/2z4TdOu

The suspects and their charges are as follows:

Michael Wenzel (D.O.B. 6/7/1996) of Palmetto, Florida:
    -Two felony counts of Aggravated Animal Cruelty (Third-degree felony)
    -One misdemeanor count of Illegal Method of Take (Second-degree misdemeanor)

Robert Lee Benac (D.O.B. 4/2/1989) of Bradenton, Florida:
    -One misdemeanor count of Illegal Method of Take (Second-degree misdemeanor)

Spencer Heintz (D.O.B. 10/14/1994) of Palmetto, Florida:

Thanks for the update lets hope these jerks get max penalties.

Awesome, glad to see it. To me it is an obvious example of animal cruelty.

Glad to see it.

Good to see justice. It was a stupid thing to do. At the same time I've dragged live fish behind my boat, not at that speed but at trolling speeds. I guess the difference is the size of the fish?
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

The charges are probably not even related to the shark video but the other wildlife "and other disturbing images on social media involving shocking disregard for Florida’s natural resources."

Quote Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
    Good to see justice. It was a stupid thing to do. At the same time I've dragged live fish behind my boat, not at that speed but at trolling speeds. I guess the difference is the size of the fish?
    I would argue the difference is intent. The video clearly shows the participants laughing with enjoyment. Their intent was pretty clear. The ridculous speed didnt help either. Nor did their previous behavior of tormenting birds and putting sharks in swimming pools.

Quote Originally Posted by kellercl View Post
    I would argue the difference is intent. The video clearly shows the participants laughing with enjoyment. Their intent was pretty clear. The ridculous speed didnt help either. Nor did their previous behavior of tormenting birds and putting sharks in swimming pools.
    I agree they 100% acted like jack-zzes doing what they were doing. I just hope the charges clarify more than intent because arresting someone for intent is a slippery slope. They definitely deserve some form of punishment, I just don't really know what laws they broke. Cruelty to animals I guess? IDK. I'm not a LEO.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

which one of these clowns was the ringleader?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    which one of these clowns was the ringleader?
    Michael Wenzel appears to be the ring leader or the stupidest of the 3 since he posted all the evidence of the other incidents. Bo Benac is a close second.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast